World Builiding and Writing Processes: A Q&A with Sara Raasch | Weaving Pages: World Builiding and Writing Processes: A Q&A with Sara Raasch

Sunday, 24 April 2016

World Builiding and Writing Processes: A Q&A with Sara Raasch

Sara Raasch is the author behind young adult fantasy series Snow Like Ashes, who's final instalment Frost Like Night comes out this December. A huge fan of the series myself (you can check out my reviews of the first two books in the series here and here) I was as happy as can be when Sara agreed to do an interview for Weaving Pages; Thank you, Sara, for your lovely answers to all my questions!



Where did the idea for Snow Like Ashes begin?

I wanted to write a book where "winter" was the "good guys" -- usually they're depicted as evil, so I wanted to flip that!

How do you go about creating Meira's world? Does world building take you a long time?

World building is my favorite aspect of writing, so it's the part I tend to spend the most time on. I have a list of questions to get me started (basic things, like country name, type of government, etc) and then add onto the world building through every stage of the story. It's an ever-evolving process!

What's your writing process? Are you a planner or a pantser?

SUCH a planner! I plan for months before I start writing. From world building to characters to plot -- I have notes/outlines for EVERYTHING.

Frost Like Night comes out this December- what do you think readers should expect from the finale? 

Tears, probably. I certainly cried.

What authors and books do you admire, and look to as inspirations?

Sharon Shinn, CS Pacat, and Seth Dickinson are some of my favorite adult fantasy writers. I just kind of stare at their books on my shelf and silently worship them. 


So there you have it: get ready to break out the tissues when Frost Like Night comes out this December, and go pick up those fantasy book gems that Sara recommends! You can also find Sara over on Twitter @SeeSaraWrite or on her Tumblr.


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...