Winter by Marissa Meyer | Weaving Pages: Winter by Marissa Meyer

Monday, 4 April 2016

Winter by Marissa Meyer

I'm back with a series-ender today, and it's from one of my favourite series ever. In short, I'm pretty emotional. In case you haven't read The Lunar Chronicles yet, what are you doing!? Go take a peek at my reviews of the previous books: Cinder, Scarlet and Cress.

25774272Title: Winter
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4
Source: Bought
Publisher: Puffin
Published: November 12th 2015
No. of Pages: 832


Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?
 
 -(Goodreads)

 5 STARS


Winter is the first book I have picked up in months after a particularly bad reading slump, and I can not begin to describe how much I loved it. It was exactly the return to a world I loved, characters I loved and a story I loved that reminded me just exactly how much I adore the feeling of a favourite book. It was a whirlwind of excitement and nerve-inducing suspense and utter glee at what was a perfect finale to a beloved series. I most definitely don't want to let go, but I couldn't imagine a better send-off than Winter.

The Lunar Chronicles as a series has to have some of my favourite characters of all time. There is not a single one I dislike, except Levana and Aimery, but they're a given of course. So one of my absolute favourite things about Winter, is having them (and all my OTPs) together. Regardless of the fact this book series does turn into a complete shipping fest- because the couples are too adorable not too -nothing amounts to having the entire group of friends together. There is such a diverse set of personalities and people in general that it makes for one of the best teams in YA literature, and as someone who's reading experience depends heavily on the characters, I honestly could not ask for a better book. You will root for them and cry for them and barely be able to turn the page out of fear of what will happen. It's inevitable, but it's so, so worth it.

Winter in particular is a constant onslaught of twists and action. There is not a single quiet moment, or a moment where you can be sure the entire plan isn't about to crumble and take you down with it. Your emotions will be at the mercy of this book, but you will not care because it's absolutely brilliant. Having struggled to make it past the first few chapters of any book recently, I couldn't prise my eyes away from the pages because the story and its world is intoxicating. I constantly needed to read more, because I couldn't get enough of utter magic Meyer has created in her story or of Carswell Thorne, of course, because he will make you swoon when you don't even expect it.

The hardest bit of reading Winter was knowing that it was the end. Four books of engrossing adventures carefully brought to a close, but what an ending it was. Despite not being particularly elaborate, it brought the characters and stories that fans of the series have grown to love to the finish they deserved and that we wanted. No matter the unavoidable heartache that comes with a series finale, Winter is a five star read filled with as much illusiveness as vivacity; a perfect ending to the most extraordinary of series.


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...