Feminism Today and in YA Literature - Georgia Stencel | Weaving Pages: Feminism Today and in YA Literature - Georgia Stencel

Thursday, 17 March 2016

Feminism Today and in YA Literature - Georgia Stencel


We still live in an unjust society. The majority of places in the world are still sexist, women are looked down upon as the ‘inferior’ gender. This really aggravates me because women are just as equal as men are and yet, they’re still being treated unfairly.

I’m not afraid to call myself a feminist, frankly I’m proud at the fact that I am one. I’m not scared at the fact that I’m passionate that I want equal rights for everybody and I’m certainly not terrified about the people who will throw abuse at me and mock me for my beliefs. But feminism isn’t just about equal rights for women, in my opinion, it’s equal rights for everybody in the world. I’m talking about the different races, the LGBT* community…you get the point. Even though women, ECT, are getting fairer rights – very slowly, I must say – there are many people who disagree and continue to say that having the society we have now is fair.

I hate the fact that even today, women are getting paid less money than men for jobs – even though they’re pretty much doing the same thing; the fact that it hasn’t even been a hundred years since women got the right to vote in Britain; that when a women gets raped she’s the one to blame because of the clothes that she was wearing, and it’s not the rapist’s fault; that a woman is told to make herself pretty for the men…I hate how women are treated, alongside those who are also treated unjustly just for who they are.

Feminism is becoming more recognised around the world, and it’s even popping up in young adult (YA) novels. This is a real great thing, because many YA authors are willing to show that feminism is a good thing, and that we should accept it. For instance you have novels like ‘I Call Myself a Feminist’ (okay, so the title is a *little* bit out there) but it does really stress the issue. Or the fact that novels like ‘Asking For It’ (written by Louise O’Neill) or ‘The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks’ (written by E. Lockhart). Those two novels scream the word ‘feminism’ with a capital F, and they do stress the issue fantastically. YA is amazing for when it comes to issues like this because it gets the point across fantastically.

We’re all born equal, so why don’t we act like it?

Georgia blogs over at Books Bandit, and I think she makes some brilliant points in her opinion on feminism. I particularly love that ending sentence- why don't we all simply acknowledge the fact that we are all equal?

If you want to share your opinion just like Georgia, start by heading over to the CONTRIBUTE page, where you can quickly take the first steps to having your voice heard here on Weaving Pages. We want to share your opinions, so go now!



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...