This Raging Light by Estelle Laure | Weaving Pages: This Raging Light by Estelle Laure

Tuesday, 24 November 2015

This Raging Light by Estelle Laure

Hello!

I received a wonderful package from the lovely people over at Orchard Books containing this gem of a book and sure enough it has flown into my favourites! Thank you to the publishers for sending it to me for review! 

25787863Title: This Raging Light
Author: Estelle Laure
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Orchard Books
Release Date: January 14th 2016
No. of Pages: 320

How is it that you suddenly notice a person? How is it that one day Digby was my best friend's admittedly cute twin brother, and then the next he stole air, gave jitters, twisted my insides up?

Lucille has bigger problems than falling for her best friend's unavailable brother. Her mom has gone, leaving her to look after her sister, Wren. With bills mounting up and appearances to keep, Lucille is raging against her life but holding it together - just.

A stunning debut to devour in one sitting, Laure captures completely the agony and ecstasy of first love.
 -(Goodreads)
4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful.


This book was sent to me in a gorgeous envelope along with a card, a second copy to give as a gift and a packet of spices of Mexican food. So I picked it up straight away, curious as to what story could illicit such a need to share it. Staring at the cover, I saw it was littered with the thoughts of people who had loved this book, which was why it instantly felt so personal. Before I even read the first page, I had a feeling I was going to love this, and it makes me so happy to say that I did!

By the time I did finish the story, I came away realising at least one thing; this book is such a fulfilling story. That's because it's a story of two sisters surviving on their own in the midst of those whirlwind moments that mess everything up. They're fighting to keep going, to keep each other together all whilst holding up a smile for the benefit of the outside world. It's heart breaking to have to see them struggle like that, especially during days where the thought of how to get money for their next meal should be far from their minds. Yet it's times like these that show the pure strength of a person. Lucille found a job to be able to care for her and Wren, even having to neglect her studies to find the time to do everything. For me, both her and Wren symbolised the key idea of this book; that it's purpose is not for me to pity these sisters, but to admire how they fought and kept going despite everything that was thrown at them. It encompasses all my feelings that I wrote about in The Art of Falling to Pieces, reminding me that we have to be the light that refuses to go out, and the ones to pick ourselves up after we fall. We must rage, and be this raging light the book talks about. I absolutely adore that message, because it just says everything I feel about being the one to keep going.

To go with that gorgeous message, Laure perfectly captured Lucille's voice as she told her story. She felt raw and authentic, in a way that genuinely made you believe she would come to life from those pages. I can count on one hand how many times that happens with a book, because it's not easy to convey the unrestrained emotions that can rage through someone at one moment. Yet This Raging Light does it perfectly, showing all the anger, bewilderment and love that you can feel. I can't think of a better way of having a reader connect with your book than making your protagonist come alive the way Lucille does. 
What made Lucille an even better character was her relationship with Wren, her younger sister. Their bond is so strong it will be relatable to anyone with a younger sister, because the need to protect your sibling and keep them safe shines through. These two girls keep each other standing no matter what is hurled at them, and what strikes me more than anything is the fact they do it together. I always value seeing those kind of relationships in stories, because too often people are left with the idea that it isn't 'cool' to get on with your family.

Another thing I must ask is: WHERE HAS THIS BOOK BEEN ALL MY LIFE!? IT IS LITERALLY EVERYTHING I EVER ASKED FOR. It has a nurse who is lovely called Rita, another character who is a Ballet dancer and it also contains my favourite poem which is "Do not go gentle into that good night" by Dylan Thomas. If you haven't read that poem, you need to because it is seriously one of the most beautiful things ever. If Estelle Laure were to edit a Portuguese character into This Raging Light right now, she would have my soul. THIS BOOK IS THAT AMAZING.

The way this book ends does not only perfectly fit with its entire theme, but it also is one of the best endings to a book I've read in a while. It symbolises exactly what this book tells us: that we must rage. The ending is a raging light, and the more I thought about it, the more perfect it seemed. I want to tell you so badly what happens, but you need to go read it for yourself because this is a book that is worth every second you spend on it. 


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...