Sunkissed by Jenny McLachlan | Weaving Pages: Sunkissed by Jenny McLachlan

Thursday, 10 September 2015

Sunkissed by Jenny McLachlan

Hello Everyone!

I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley, so thank you to them for allowing me to review it! Of course, it does not affect my opinion of the book in anyway- that's all down to the hilarious story!



25800990
Title: Sunkissed
Author: Jenny McLachlan
Series: The Ladybirds #1
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: August 13th 2015
No. of Pages: 302


Kat can't believe her family are sending her to Sweden for the summer. But without her friends, or even a phone signal, can Kat make it on her own?

In a land of saunas, nudity and summer sun, Kat soon realises she has nowhere to hide. It's time to embrace who she really is, underneath what she's been thinking people want her to be. Especially if she's going to win the heart of mega fit Swede Leo! Can Kat find her inner strength and prove she's got what it takes?
Kat soon finds that when you're surrounded by phosphorescence and wonder it's easy to sparkle. Or maybe that's what happens when you fall in love . Or maybe you only shine when you're true to yourself. -(Goodreads)
3.5 stars: Page thinks this book was good, but didn't
make him fly.
If you've ever read any book by Louise Rennison and loved it, then you need to pick up any book by Jenny McLachlan NOW. Or better yet, if you have read any of Louise Rennison's books and laughed your tights off, I would direct you towards these books, which are downright hilarious. I mean, how are you not supposed to laugh at a naked crazy frog dance?!

I could laugh my way through all of Jenny McLachlan's books, and Sunkissed was no different. From running twins, to aunts swimming without bathing suits and a whole lot of new Swedish words, it keeps you on your toes with chuckles and smiles all round. My absolute favourite thing about this book though was the setting. SWEDEN WHOOO! I'm so happy I finally got to read a YA book set in a foreign country. We do not see enough of this, and you can rarely find books that are set in different countries in UKYA or USYA, and I think that's really disappointing. Readers need awareness of the diverse world and cultures around them, but I don't think enough people venture there yet- maybe it's because authors don't feel they can portray a country they haven't visited as well- and that's a real shame. Showing a variety of countries and cultures in books would give readers greater knowledge of not only the countries they live next to, but of the people who live there to, and for me that's one of the things that's missing in our world; greater understanding of our peers. There is still so much ignorance we need to fight against, and little things like this are a step away from that.

The great variety of characters was also a winner in my opinion, from running twins to aunts swimming naked and Yperlig Leo, things could not get boring. Especially when you accidentally end up on another island in the midst of things. My favourite 'character' turned out to be the signal rock. As the name suggests, it is the only rock on the island which has signal, and thus to reach it you have to sellotape your phone to your head. I think this is the only book I've read that truly expresses the struggle of not having signal or wifi, and for that I'm very glad. ;)


If it's summer and you need something fun to lift your spirits, I would recommend these books to you 100%! They are absolutely fabulous and I know I can rely on them if I need to laugh and focus on the simpler parts of life. In other words: everyone should have a moment they need to read this.

If you like Sunkissed, why not try:

- Wish You Were Italian by Kristin Rae
- Fool Me Twice by Mandy Hubbard
- Withering Tights by Louise Rennison


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...