A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin | Weaving Pages: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Monday, 27 April 2015

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Hello Everyone!!

I don't know what I'm more excited for; the fact that this book is amazing or that I can finally do those Game of Thrones quizzes without having spoilers burn my eyes. WHOOO!

13496Title: A Game of Thrones
Author: George R. R. Martin
Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #1
Source: Bought
Publisher: Bantam Spectra
Published: August 6th 1996
No. of Pages: 853


Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.

As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty.

The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.
 -(Goodreads)

 5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.


I FINALLY STARTED IT. Game of Thrones has been EVERYWHERE and I have finally jumped on the bandwagon though I really should have joined in sooner. I have a lot to catch up on now, as well as too much love for characters that I already know are going to die, but all I know is that the first book is brilliant and you should be reading them. Like now.

Okay, okay, 900 pages of pure book is pretty scary, not going to lie. However, you are in safe hands. It's George R.R Martin -from what I can tell from reading the first book, he's genius when it comes to making you want to read none stop. One of my favourite features is that the book is in 3rd person, but it constantly changes from character to character each chapter. When you're in such a vast amazing world, this keeps your interest piqued and you hanging on the edge of your seat. It also showcases the vast array of characters there are, and there are SO many. There is some serious diversity among them, because they're all completely different in terms of personality, looks and behavior. I don't think there is a character that is the same as another!

As mentioned above the world is vast. And Amazing. And I love it. It's a typical, medieval style place with all the fighting, knights, castles and slums, but with such a large area, Martin demonstrates eloquent control of his setting. For me as a reader, this makes everything vivid and I constantly had an image of exactly where I was with each and every page. It really becomes a world beyond your imagination and I feel like there is so much more to explore so it leaves me excited for the next books! I also loved how it took into account that even in this fictional world there will be different cultures and customs. For example, the Dothraki are fiercely different to those that reside in King's Land and it is quite prominent.

The characters for me, however, were amazing! Like I said, there is just such a huge variety of personalities it's like a book lovers dreams! If you look past the slightly disturbing fact that half of the characters are younger than 15 (It's an exactly like medieval times, trust me..) you will get too many favourites than you can count on one hand. Which is not too good since they will keep dying till you can count them on one hand. However, there is also all the lovely houses which is a favourite feature of mine because I can decide which house I would belong to. It's kind of like Harry Potter all over again. ;) As of this review, my favourite characters are Robb Stark, Jon Snow, Arya Stark and Daenarys Targaryen and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few more but I'm not going to turn this into a huge list of amazing characters. I will say however who I dislike with a passion: Joffrey Baratheon. SANSA WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.
I would recommend A Game of Thrones to any lover of fantasy books! Please don't be intimidated by the size- instead look forward to the awesome world and characters!


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...