All Fall Down by Ally Carter | Weaving Pages: All Fall Down by Ally Carter

Monday, 9 March 2015

All Fall Down by Ally Carter

Hello Everyone!

I got this book for review from the lovely people at Orchard Books via Netgalley- thank you so much for letting me review this! 



23395735
Title: All Fall Down
Author: Ally Carter
Series: Embassy Row #1 
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
Publisher: Orchard Books
Published: February 5th 2015
No. of Pages: 320


Grace can best be described as a daredevil, an Army brat, and a rebel. She is also the only granddaughter of perhaps the most powerful ambassador in the world and Grace has spent every summer of her childhood running across the roofs of Embassy Row.

Now, at age sixteen, she's come back to stay - in order to solve the mystery of her mother's death. In the process, she uncovers an international conspiracy of unsettling proportions, and must choose her friends and watch her foes carefully if she and the world are to be saved
.-(Goodreads.) 
4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.

I'VE READ ANOTHER ALLY CARTER BOOK AND IT WAS BRILLIANT! Ah, I just get so excited that none of her books have failed me yet- WHHOOP! Alas, on with the review:

One of the things that got me reeling with excitement was the setting. It's Embassy Row, guys. Do you know what that means? COUNTRIES! AN ABUNDANCE OF COUNTRIES! For someone who always says that she wants a bigger variety of nationalities and countries in books, I was having a party. THERE WAS SO MUCH CULTURE. You had American characters, Brazilian characters, Russian characters and just such a huge range of languages that I was in dreamland. I was so in love with it that I was sure I wanted to jump into the book and join in the adventures to represent the Portuguese Embassy (because I'm sure it totally works like that). There is, of course, the issue that international relations tend to waver and that kicking a football into your neighbour's garden could result in a LOT of trouble... Still- it's one of my favourite settings EVER.

What I did notice reading this, is that All Fall Down has a much darker tone as opposed to the first book in Ally Carter's last series. Since this deals with a lot of emotion due to Grace's mother's death, it misses out on all the introductory boy-crazy romance that you see in Carter's previous series. However, I don't see this as a bad thing; this series has clearly evolved to become more reminiscent of the Gallagher Girls' later books, and I think it promises a lot of new things. It's darker and was great at exploring the different reactions to a character's death. Each person impacted reacted differently to the point that by the end, you will get a huge shock. It's a completely unexpected twist that is heartbreaking. For me, it completely summed up what devastation can do to you and was very powerful in that sense. 

In terms of romance, what I really liked was that there wasn't any. I know, I know- I usually love it, but it wouldn't be right in this book. Grace wasn't in the position to have a relationship- any romance would have honestly felt silly, and I'm really glad Ally Carter understood that. It's one of the book's unique qualities, in my opinion! Saying that, I do sense potential romance in the future... With a character called Alexei. I'm not entirely sure I ship it, but we'll see!

A guy I did love, however, was Noah. Ohhh, he was such a sweetheart! I love him, and constantly wanted to hug him. He was a brilliant character that proved to be the best throughout the whole book. I can't wait to see more of him!
All Fall Down was a perfect start to this new series. It was filled with everything you could hope for from culture to emotion to sweet characters. It's a must-read!


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...