Twitter: The Tips & Tricks Part 1 | Weaving Pages: Twitter: The Tips & Tricks Part 1

Saturday, 31 January 2015

Twitter: The Tips & Tricks Part 1


Hello Everyone!

Despite the common knowledge that quite a lot of us LOVE the little bird known as Twitter, I have decided to give people a few tips. When asked about how to get started in the blogging world I always, always, always say Twitter. And I will continue doing so. Not including other bits and pieces, twitter was how I really got into the blogging community. I joined in with one twitter chat once I made an account, and I just remember meeting SO MANY new people! I think most of my bloggy friends were made on Twitter, if I'm honest- and they're all brilliant!!

Of course, your experience on Twitter is subjective to how you use it; it's all up to you, really. That's why I asked some people to give me their advice along with that which I'll be sharing today. This is a post aimed at those who are perhaps not so comfortable with social media, but if you are, I'd love to hear your advice in the comments! All contributions are welcome!

First things first, make sure you have a nice twitter profile. The first thing you should do is get a profile picture. You can have a picture of yourself, an avatar, your blog icon, cat memes- anything BUT THE EGG. I'm sure I speak for many when I say- everyone is slightly scared of the egg. The thing with egg is that you don't know who the egg is... it could be ANYONE. Which is why people tend to run in the opposite direction..


This is my profile. As you can see, I have a picture of my wonderful shelves as a cover photo, a little avatar I made of myself with an app, and my bio is filled out. Bios can be hard- I get it. Just say a little about yourself, like in mine: "Blogging is my way of expressing all the crazy thoughts I get after reading a book." and then add a little warning "The rest of my time is spent crying over shows like #the100." That way, people know what they're getting into by following you. ;)

If you'd rather not include your location, like me, I recommend getting creative. That can be a reference to a fictional land, the place you'd like to live, or something random like my reference to Agents of SHIELD- 'Fitzsimmonsing'.

So- CONGRATS! You have successfully made your profile and no one should run away from you.. just yet... Your next challenge is to follow people. Now, there is no set advice for this. Look up your favourite authors, brands, stores, celebrities, bloggers, actors, etc. THE TWITTER WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER. You can follow who ever you want! It's great for staying up to date with news, which can be a big help. 

Once you've done that, start engaging with people. You won't get 100 followers straight away, but if you follow your favourite bloggers and start engaging with their tweets, you never know where it may lead! You may become great bloggy friends, but if you don't- do not worry! There are plenty of people you don't know yet!

Which brings me to my next suggestion. While it's great to follow people you already know, Twitter Chats are perfect for finding new people. Whilst you have to keep an eye out for them, one I know of is Lucy's #UKYAChat . Just have a peek at the hashtag to know when the next one will be, and you can have great fun with all the bookishness! Of course, if you blog about other things, there are plenty of chats for each subject. You just have to keep your eyes peeled, or search through some hashtags!

Last but not least, do not forget to start tweeting!! Tweet about that new book you just bought, about those shoes you're in love with or about that fictional character you can't stop crying about. It might sound daunting at first, but you'll soon realise we're all mad here.. So enjoy! If you're looking for someone to say hi to, why not start with me? I can be found @WeavingPages so come and tell me what you thought of this post while you wait for part two where I'll be sharing some Twitter etiquette along with help from some others. Just remember the most important thing: make Twitter work for you, even if you do the opposite of everything I've said. The only person that knows what's best for you, is you- so take your own awesome advice!


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...