Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan | Weaving Pages: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Saturday, 6 December 2014

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

Hello Everyone!

I've never read a David Levithan book, and TFiOS is the only John Green book I've read before, so I wasn't too sure what to expect. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed it!


17208924
Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green, David Levithan
Series: N/A 
Source: Borrowed
Publisher: Penguin Books
Published: May 10th 2012
No. of Pages: 308


One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two strangers cross paths. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, culminating in heroic turns-of-heart and the most epic musical ever to grace the high-school stage.-(Goodreads.) 
4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.


I picked up Will Grayson on a friend's recommendation. She had LOVED it, and I ended up loving it much more than I even thought I would. Having read TFiOS, I knew that it had to be at least a little bit good, but I had never read any of David Levithan's stories. I can now confirm that he is just as good as everyone says he is- do any of you have any recommendations for any of his other books?

So since this book obviously has two characters of the same name, we'll have Will Grayson #1 (Who is constantly trying to be as unnoticed as possible) and Will Grayson #2 (who is depressed) It might get a little confusing, and if it does I'm sorry!! The book is not confusing at all, so no matter how crazy this review might get, believe me that you should definitely read this!!

Like I said above as soon as you begin to read the story, you'll find that it's no where near as confusing as it sounds when someone trys to explain the story to you. After the first two chapters, I noticed the quirks each character had such as Will Grayson #1's Andbutsos and Will Grayson #2's lack of capitals. This is always a very enjoyable part to any book, because it allows you to first of all realise how such small details can have a HUGE impact on any character in the book and then, you're also reminded that being able to recognise this shows you're becoming closer to the character, and the book is starting to become more personal.

What also really struck me about Will Grayson, Will Grayson, is that by the end I felt that it wasn't just romance that was being focused on, but friendship and how we recognise the fears of others more than we recognise it in ourselves. It was interesting, because there was a point where every single character realised how important it was to have someone who understands you and who will be there regardless of the wrongs you both do. It completely impacted the overall result and it made me happier to see how better off they all became.

There is a musical which is quite a substantial part of the plot. And let me tell you: This musical is AMAZING. OH MY GOODNESS I WOULD PAY GOOD MONEY TO SEE IT LIVE. Someone should make it happen- it's literally so funny, but with such a great message at the same time and I was very happy that it was described in the book because I spent SO much time looking forward to it!

What is definitely noticeable is that Will Grayson, Will Grayson follows that style that I recognise from TFiOS. It's a very real book that deals with issues of identity and the manner we choose to lead our lives, but whilst it does this wonderfully, it also takes on things in a way that you can't help but laugh. It can be quite a hard feeling to describe, but it's also noticeable in Will Grayson #2's humour. It could very dark at times and it made you laugh in those times where you feel like in a way you shouldn't..

The rest of the other characters were amazing too. Tiny (Will Grayson #1's best friend), was by far my favourite. He was just FABULOUS and BRILLIANT and just generally the king of rainbows and unicorns. Will Grayson #1 was also a favourite of mine, and I definitely shipped him and a girl called Jane! I spent A LOT of time shipping...
Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a wonderful novel that has a great array of characters dealing with their identity in their own ways.


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...