An Interview with E.M.Tippetts | Weaving Pages: An Interview with E.M.Tippetts

Monday, 22 December 2014

An Interview with E.M.Tippetts

Hello Everyone!

CHRISTMAS IS NEARLY HERE! Can you believe it? I'm so excited you have no idea... Anyway, today I have an interview with an amazing author, Emily Mah Tippetts. She's written a really great series that I highly recommend you read: the Someone Else's Fairytale series. You can get the series on Amazon (the first book is free for Kindle!), or read excerpts on Wattpad which you should really go do! Tell me if you decide to have a read :) On with the interview!


Hi Emily!
1. To begin, tell me a bit about yourself and your books. 
I'm 39 years old and a lifelong New Mexican. These days I live in Santa Fe, though I grew up in Los Alamos and have lived for eight years in the UK. These days I write chick lit/light romance as E.M. Tippetts and science fiction and fantasy as Emily Mah (no novels under that name yet!) 

2. How did you come up with the idea behind the Someone Else's Fairytale series?
It just came to me one day. Celebrity romance is a whole subgenre of romance and I thought it would be funny to write about a woman who isn't interested in movie stars and who isn't swept off her feet when one falls for her. The exact scene that came to me was the one where Jason shows up on Chloe's doorstep to spoon feed her ice cream. I tried to imagine how that would play out in real life. It's the kind of thing people fantasize about, but when it happens for real to Chloe, she's stuck thinking, "This is kind of awkward... I barely know you."

I think Celebrity Romance is one of my guilty pleasures, but I did adore Chloe's reactions to everything!
3. Who is your favourite character in the series?
I love them all, really. It's impossible to choose a favorite. Well, okay, I don't love my villains so much, but aside from them, I have no favorites.

I love them all too, if I'm honest!
4. Do you do a lot of research before beginning to write?
When it's a field I don't know, yes, I do. For Nobody's Damsel, I kept up a pretty steady correspondence with a friend of mine who is a forensic scientist. For the Hollywood stuff, I relied on Melinda Snodgrass, who is a screenwriter; Ty Franck, who is a screenwriter/producer; and Kristin Goodman, who is an actress/screenwriter. I still get a ton of stuff wrong, but I try to get it right!

I really love that about your books- you really make an effort with Chloe's job in forensics which makes for such enjoyable reading. :)
5. What kind of scene is your favourite to write?
Anything that comes easily, I think. It really depends on how the whole book is shaping up. Some of the tiniest scenes can be impossible to get through and some of the biggest, most complex scenes can be a breeze. So it isn't a type of scene, it's scenes that I write when most of the rest of the framework is in place that are my favorite to write. It takes a lot of work to get there.

6. What's your favourite thing to do when you're not writing?
Play with my two kiddos! I also work with polymer clay and am teaching myself digital painting and sketching. Whenever I can, I try out new artistic mediums because I was born with zero creative talent. This means I have to constantly practice and learn and exercise.

Well, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. ;) haha!
7. Any hints as to what we might be able to expect from future books?
Chloe and Jason become parents. Chloe's brother gets parolled. Jason gets his television show and it starts shooting in Albuquerque - plenty of fun stuff!

Ahh! I'm so excited for the next few books. :D

Quick Fire Questions:

1. Favourite Food: Indian
2. Best Dessert: Anything with chocolate
3. Most Beautiful Location: Home! (Santa Fe)
4. Favourite Book: Way too many to name!
5. Favourite Time of Year: Autumn

Merry Christmas, Emily! Thank you for coming on the blog! :)
Merry Christmas! Thanks for the interview :-)


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...