The Moment Collector by Jodi Lynn Anderson | Weaving Pages: The Moment Collector by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

The Moment Collector by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Hello Everyone!

I got this book for review from the lovely people at Orchard Books, so thank you to them for sending me this! I definitley did not expect it to mess with my feelings this much... XD

20658345
Title: The Moment Collector
Author: Jodi Lynn Anderson
Series: N/A 
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Orchard Books
Published: August 7th 2014
No. of Pages: 256


"The yard of this house is a graveyard of moments and everything left behind is a clue. And I am here to dig."

There's a ghost haunting 208 Water Street. She doesn't know who she was, or why she's still here. She does know that she is drawn to Maggie, the new girl in town, and her friends - beautiful, carefree Pauline and Liam, the boy who loves her.
But the ghost isn't all that's lurking in Gill Creek... Someone is killing young girls all across the county. Can the ghost keep these three friends safe? Or does she have another purpose? -(Goodreads.) 
4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.


Books can change in an instant, and you will never see it coming. It's the complete and utter truth. I started this book in the sort of mood where I would pick it up, read a couple of pages, and then put it back down. This went on for a couple of days until today, where I picked it up and didn't even think about closing it. It just sucked me in completely, and I can't even tell you exactly why.

After feeling a complete and utter blankness for the first few chapters, I am now left with a turmoil of feelings that I can't even begin to sort out. It seems impossible that this book has morphed from 'meh' status to a love-hate relationship, because I am struggling a lot with the rating. On one hand, I should be giving it 5 stars for the impossible range of feelings in caused, but on the other hand, I hate it because of what happened. HATE it. But then, it takes great skill to make someone feel so strongly for a book, which means I have SO much praise for the author. It's just astounding how Anderson has written a book that has affected me so much, and yet I can't even begin to describe why. It's almost mind-blowing. Watch out for Anderson's books: she doesn't strike me as someone who's writing is willing to go unnoticed.

So why do I hate it? Why? Why? Why? I can't even fathom an answer that could potentially explain my feelings. I don't believe a formula, a theory or the world's brightest philosopher could accurately discover my answer which only proves infectious through the words of a book. I don't believe a series of X and Y could be multiplied, divided or added to even begin to decipher this hurricane  that seems to send every thought and feeling hurtling into a never-ending abyss. All that I can possibly say is that I can rage, I can cry, I can smile, scream and laugh throughout the pages of this book, but no emotion even begins to lessen the tightness in my chest or the impending doom in my stomach until I can reach the last sentence and throw the book down in the woe of tragedy.

I have gone on, and on, and on about how I don't know why I am conflicted. Sorry about that. In return, I do have an answer to a different question: Why it shouldn't be possible that I feel this way.
     In The Moment Collector, almost nothing happens. There is a starting point, and the story moves along slowly, but the thing is, the story is seemingly going nowhere. It seems to not be working towards any ending at all. It floats in a pool of words, characters and emotions that somehow weasle their way inside you and affect you in the way that they shouldn't. It plods away slowly and you start to feel for the first time. You start to believe that maybe things will be alright and the precious thread of the novel seems to start rolling into a perfect ball of yarn. You start to imagine what that ball of yarn will look like sitting pretty on your shelf, and everything seems perfect... Till you drop it and it starts unravelling. Slowly, then almost all at once. You run after it, and the world seems to pick up speed as the words swirl around your head as the little ball of yarn almost reaches the end. And then, just as the tip of your finger caresses a piece of the unravelling thread, the tiny ball of yarn that was left hurtles into a raging fire. You are left with nothing but the unravelled piece of thread, now burnt off from it's very core. And even though you try in anguish to spin that remaining thread once again into it's perfect little ball, you never quite manage to return it to it's former glory before it just falls apart in your hands.
In short, The Moment Collector, radiates a great amount of talent, but be prepared for it to mess with each piece of your being.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...