Listening For Lucca by Suzanne LaFleur | Weaving Pages: Listening For Lucca by Suzanne LaFleur

Friday, 3 October 2014

Listening For Lucca by Suzanne LaFleur

Hello Everyone!

I have had this book on my TBR pile for a while, and then the lovely Zoe gave it to me! THANK YOU- I LOVED IT!

18192268
Title: Listening for Lucca
Author: Suzanne LaFleur
Series: N/A 
Source: Gift
Publisher: Puffin
Published: August 6th 2013
No. of Pages: 299
"I'm obsessed with abandoned things." Siena's obsession began a year and a half ago, around the time her two-year-old brother Lucca stopped talking. Now Mom and Dad are moving the family from Brooklyn to Maine hoping that it will mean a  whole new start for Lucca and Siena. She soon realizes that their wonderful old house on the beach holds secrets. When Siena writes in her diary with an old pen she found in her closet, the pen writes its own story, of Sarah and Joshua, a brother and sister who lived in the same house during World War II. As the two stories unfold, amazing parallels begin to appear, and Siena senses that Sarah and Joshua's story might contain the key to unlocking Lucca's voice.(Goodreads.) 
4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.



Do you know how awesome Zoe is? AMAZINGLY AWESOME, because not only is she an awesome buddy, she sent me a sweet letter and such a great book- the onne I'm reviewing right now- just because she is such a lovely person. In short, THANK YOU for being such a kind person and giving me a book I enjoyed so much! I'm working on sending you something soon!

When you read the blurb of this book (above) you'll get a sense of what the story is like, but however well you might think you know the story, I feel like this book still manages to somehow retain the element of surprise. I don't know how, but it does, and when you reach the ending it will be like waking up from a year-long sleep. (Yes, I mean that kind of surprise and not the ASDFGHJKL YOU KILLED ALL MY CHARACTERS KIND.)
     I just find it so difficult to describe how I felt once the book was finished, but the simplicity of the story is it's most effective characteristic- that's what's so interesting. I feel like it's an example that sometimes you don't need an elaborate storyline. You just need to capture the heart and essence of your readers. Listening for Lucca does exactly this.

I do have one tiny criticism, however. I would have liked there to have been more detail in terms of some of the things happening to Siena, like her 'ability' to be transported back to the previous inhabitants of the house.. I just felt as though the details of how and why she could do this were kind of glossed over as though there wasn't meant to be a reason, but I felt that it could have been used as an opportunity to explore this ability. Still, maybe it was a good thing, since otherwise the simplicity of the book could have been lost, and that would be ANNOYING as it makes the book so good!

A quick note just to say that mum actually read this before I did, and she completely agrees with me. You know what this means? This review is DOUBLE authenticated, meaning if I haven't convinced you, TRUST MY MUM. XD

Anyway, I found the way Suzanne LaFleur entangled Siena's story with Sarah's so enthralling. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was unique, but I will say that the things that happened were, though they were a little obvious at times. What I like about it was that Sarah and Siena's story connected profoundly and impacted each other on a great level. Siena managed to fix a lot of things by looking at Sarah's life, and both of them benefitted a lot from the intervention of the other, even though their lives were taking place at completely times.

Do you know what the funniest thing is though? My favourite character wasn't even one of the main ones. Instead, it was actually Joshua, Sarah's brother who had gone away to fight. I fell in love with him because he was so selfless and such a good person. His relationship with Sarah was so important to both siblings, and to me it just made him the best character in the book.
Listening For Lucca is beautiful and haunting. I would recommend it to anyone! :)

Bye! xx




rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...