The Rain by Virginia Bergin | Weaving Pages: The Rain by Virginia Bergin

Sunday, 21 September 2014

The Rain by Virginia Bergin

Hello Everyone!

I got this book from the publisher via Netgalley so thank you to them for letting me review this! I don't think I was expecting what I got, but I liked it. ;)



21116887
Title: The Rain
Author: Virginia Bergin
Series: The Rain #1 
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Release Date: July 17th 2014
No. of Pages: 384
It's in the rain...and just one drop will kill you.

They don't believe it at first. Crowded in Zach's kitchen, Ruby and the rest of the partygoers laugh at Zach's parents' frenzied push to get them all inside as it starts to drizzle. But then the radio comes on with the warning, "It's in the rain! It's fatal, it's contagious, and there's no cure."

Two weeks later, Ruby is alone. Anyone who's been touched by rain or washed their hands with tap water is dead. The only drinkable water is quickly running out. Ruby's only chance for survival is a treacherous hike across the country to find her father-if he's even still alive.
(Goodreads.) 

4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.


In the time I have been blogging, I have read a lot of post apocalyptic books, At least I think I have.. (That's a post for another time.) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that something about The Rain strikes me as different from a lot of other books. A lot of things, from the characters to the events that occur just come off as different to everything else, and I like it. Even though it serves to break my heart occaisonally...

The thing is, half of The Rain is purely depressing survival. Not in a bad way, just that there is no hope ANYWHERE and you actually start to realise what a horrific situation the characters are in. The Rain doesn't glorify survival or the end of the world in any way at all, and I feel like that's quite a distinguishing characteristic. 
     On the contrary, the other half of the book is purely depressing survival with little slashes of humour that just seem wrong because the world is literally dying and you're laughing at Ruby's occasional ridiculous situations. I personally really enjoyed the bursts of humour, and I look forward to seeing more of them in the sequel! (YAY!)

This book literally defies all apocalyptic book stereotypes everywhere. There is no just heroine who is trying to save the planet, no hot guy who she'll inevitably get married to in the end, and no kick-ass fighting or jumping from building. You literally have an irresponsible teenager who does what any normal teenager would probably do: freaks out a lot, goes on a shopping spree to try and find a little light in all the mess, and then finally attempts to get her act together which she admits she is terrible at. You get a nerd who is not good looking in the slightest. And you get survival at it's barest: ransacking dead people's houses and drinking your own pee, all whilst having to heart breakingly abbandon dogs who have drank infected water and might infect you. Bear in mind that the dog has no idea why you're leaving it behind and starts crying and then you'll understand why I WAS A HEARTBROKEN MESS. I'm half convinced that I cry more when a book has a suffering animal than a suffering human... I GET ATTACHED, OKAY?

Do you know what the single most uplifting point of this book is? Ruby is a character from an apocalyptic book who's set the standards of survival at a level we could probably acheive. FINALLY. I mean, you know when you're reading The Hunger Games and it suddenly occurs to you that "Wait a minute. I have no idea how to use a bow and if I'm ever in The Hunger Games I'll probably fall off the podium before the timer ends.." Well, have no fear! In The Rain there is none of that! Ruby probably knows as much about surviving as you and I do, so there is no need to go wasting your money on archery lessons in case the next world leader turns out to be President Snow.


I feel like Ruby is the sort of person who I have no idea if I would get on with or not, but I do know that I love her as a character because even though the world is ending, she still smears on her make-up, wears designer dresses she would never to afford, and has complete and utter meltdowns where she launches into sarcastic rants. It's great. Seriously. Read this when you need a completely imperfect main character, or whenever you need reassurance that you might actually be able to survive an apocalypse.
The Rain is perfect for when you're panicking about the fact that you have as many survival skills as a YA character with no sense of self-preservation, and you just want something different. A.K.A. Read this whenever you want. ;)

Bye! xx




rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...