I Guess It's Time I Told You... I Don't Get Genres | Weaving Pages: I Guess It's Time I Told You... I Don't Get Genres

Thursday, 25 September 2014

I Guess It's Time I Told You... I Don't Get Genres

I Don't Get Genres...

Seriously. I just don't get them. I mean, I get what they're for and what they mean, but I'm just clueless when it comes to telling people what genre a book is. C L U E L E S S. I'm just terrible because I think that a book is a certain genre, and then it's not and I realise why I was wrong, but I still continue to find genres about as hard eating a book. WHAT MONSTER WOULD DO THAT? 
     To make matters even worse, people decide to then make books fit into more than one category. See that? The first sentence of this paragraph? THAT IS PROOF THAT GENRES ARE AGAINST ME. MARK MY WORDS. Either that, or I need to sit through an intensive genre 101 course. Still don't believe me? You will after this:

Examples of times Rita has been defeated by genres:

Example A: This one time someone asked me what my favourite Fantasy book was. The conversation went a bit like this:

PERSON: What is your favourite fantasy book?

ME: Um, well, apart from Harry Potter, I don't think I read much fantasy..SORRY!! *wanders off happily*

So then, once I was home, I decided to go admire my lovely bookshelves. Here I am smiling at the sight of my books when suddenly, my mind starts screaming LIAR! LIAR! Why? Because stood right in front of me, on my shelves is Harry Potter, The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices and Throne of Glass!! IF THEY AREN'T FANTASY WHAT IS?! But apparently, I still 'don't think I read much Fantasy' You know what I say to that? *facepalm*

Example B: Angelfall, is a great book, but was also my downfall when I tried to name it's genre. I think I was writing a post, and started thinking about the genre (BAD IDEA RITA). For some reason, Dystopian came to mind. *hits head* In my defence, Goodreads does have Dystopian as a genre possiblity for Angelfall, but when you really think about it, Dystopian indicates a book with a crazy oppressive government who wants to kill anyone who doesn't conform with the rules. Am I right? (Please say yes..) Angelfall doesn't exactly have an oppressive government, so somehow, it finally came to mind that Post-Apocalyptic fiction is probably the genre. FINALLY. 

So there you have it. COMPLETE PROOF I don't get genres. Does this happen to anyone else, or am I the only one who wants to run away screaming when she hears the word 'Genre'?


Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...