Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan | Weaving Pages: Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan

Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan

Hello Everyone!

I got this book from the publisher via Netgalley, so thank you to them for letting me review such a fun book!


20618013
Title: Flirty Dancing
Author: Jenny McLachlan
Series: Prisoner of Night and Fog #1 
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Published: July 3rd 2014
No. of Pages: 300


Bea Hogg is shy but fiery inside. When national dance competition Starwars comes to her school looking for talent, she wants to sign up. It's just a shame her best friend agreed to enter with school super-cow Pearl Harris. Bea will fight back! But when school hottie, Ollie Matthews, who also happens to be Pearl’s boyfriend, decides to enter the competition with Bea, she will have more than a fight on her hands.
This warm, nuanced, hilarious story about friendship, fortitude . . . and dancing is impossible not to fall in love with. Jenny’s voice is fresh and convincing, and she handles both darker and lighter elements of the story with equal panache. -(Goodreads.) 
4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.
I feel like I have some sort of sensor when it comes to a few subjects, in the way that as soon as I hear of them, I AM THERE. Dancing is probably one of them, and I think that even if I have never done that certain type of dance I still want to get up and attempt it, because why not? As you can see, as soon as I saw Flirty Dancing for request, my eyes zoomed in on the words 'dancing' and then 'jive' and BAM! I WAS THERE...

So there we have it: Flirty Dancing was the perfect book, and it filled me up with so much dancing joy that all my notes consist of Caps-Lock and unusable squealing. In fact, I think this has made me fall in love with Jiving even though I have never tried it in my life. I guess that Bea has caused my mind to assume it has jived before and I will admit that I spent a good amount of time watching Jive videos on Youtube. Nevertheless, I will admit that the times I have tried dancing with a partner, I have come to the conclusion that I suck at letting others lead... I am getting completely off the point here. What I'm attempting to say is that yet again, a dance book is my downfall and my thoughts throughout this books consisted of:

1) I will Jive one day. I will. I WILLLL.
2) SOMEONE GET ME AN OLLIE SO I CAN JIVE.
3) OLLIE I LOVE YOUUUU.
and 4) I WANT OLLLIIEEEE

Now, I am assuming you are wondering who this mysterious Ollie is. Well, let me tell you: Ollie is a gorgeous jiving hottie who I completely ship Be a with, but I also ship myself with. The only downside is that his name is terrible for creating ship names. 
     Anyway, I loved Ollie and one of the best things about him was that he completely defied that idiotic stereotype about boys dancing, because what do we have here? A hot guy jiving his socks off. WE NEED THIS IN THE WORLD. Despite there being many males in the world of dancing, society still has some sort of problem with boys dancing that sets off all the 10 year olds in the room sniggering. When I say society, I refer to the fact that this is usually more of a problem that kids encounter because they find dance 'girly' or something... But the question is, why do children have this idea of dance, and the answer leads back to gender bias in society. Having gone on a rant there, I want to express that being someone who does ballet, this is something I am aware happens with boys doing ballet and that I imagine happens with other types of dance too, however I am unable to say for certain. Nevertheless, Ollie dancing and everyone in the book not blinking an eye is an important message, no matter how small. I hope I haven't started overthinking the whole thing though.. 

Bea, the protagonist, was another highlight of the book for me. What I like about her however, was seeing her change throughout the story and seeing the impact of dancing on her. It's hard to think about how a competition or a hobbie can change someone, but for Bea, it definitely did help her and make a grow into a better, confident version of herself. The nice thing is that maybe 'change' is the wrong word to use. I think dancing just brought out the best version of her which was already there. Bea had just hidden it away.

Pearl, Bea's ex-friend, was also a good antagonist for this kind of story. The thing is, lots of books end with the evil ex-friend and the poor mistreated friend making up and everything is sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes when that happens, it makes me want to bang my head against a wall because Seriously? That person has made your life hell for the last five years and you're willing to run off into the sunset with them? Then again, maybe I'm just really bad at forgiving characters in books.. Anyway, what I liked about Pearl and Bea's relationship is that didn't happen and as a result, I am really interested in finding out what did happen between them. That also means I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEQQUEELL.
Flirty Dancing fits it's name perfectly with its fun elements, statement characters and DANNCIINGGG! I would recommend it to every YA reader!

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...