The Fearless by Emma Pass | Weaving Pages: The Fearless by Emma Pass

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

The Fearless by Emma Pass

Hello Everyone!

I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley, so thank you to them for allowing me to review it!

17338059
Title: The Fearless
Author: Emma Pass
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
Publisher: Corgi Children's
Published: April 24th 2014
No. of Pages: 400
The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back. -(Goodreads)


3.5 stars: Page thinks this book was good, but didn't
make him fly.


After having read ACID by Emma Pass, I was really looking forward to reading this. I started off with high expectations, but unfortunately, The Fearless did not fulfil them, despite the fact that I did like this book.

To be honest, most of my feelings on this book are about the characters. This is to do with the fact that though I did like the plot, it just didn't bring anything new for me. I wasn't enthralled, or glued to the page like I had hoped, and as a result, I feel kind of let down by this book. I wanted to be given a plot that was exciting and new, that had twist and turns I didn't expect, but that just didn't happen.. One of the problems, I think, might have been to do with the fact that ACID had given me such high expectations. I was expecting something that evoked much stronger emotions than what I actually got, and I think that was a shame..  On the bright side, IT HAD MAPS, so it does get brownie points for that.

When it came to character relationships, I found myself feeling very 'meh'-ish. Sadly, I just couldn't bring myself to ship Myo (The boy Cass leaves the island with to find her brother.) and Cass romantically... I felt that is should just have been left a platonic ship as I just wasn't feeling it romantically. It would have actually been quite nice to see this book have two characters create a really strong friendship, as opposed to a romantic relationship. On the upside, I didn't dislike the romance itself, and it was much better than Cass ending up with Sol... *shudders* or any kind of insta-love that I've witnessed lately.

This brings me on to Sol, Cass' supposed 'Best Friend'... Oh, lets not get me started on how I feel about him. I literally disliked Sol from the moment I met him, and then it only got worse as I read more. He literally had some twisted idea that Cass was his possession, and that she could only be with him. That just made me want to slap some sense into him there and then. I was literally overjoyed when Cass left Hope island, because he got left behind. Sol was just awful, and I'm really glad Emma Pass manged to make me feel so strongly about him.

Myo, on the other hand, I liked much more than Sol. My favourite thing about him, however, was his determination to save the ones he loves. I really enjoyed the relationship he had with his sister, and how he never gave up on her. If you read this book, then you'll understand much better why I loved this detail so much, as I can't say much without giving a lot away. All I will say, though, is that Myo kept going when a lot of people would have given up, and I could really feel the strong bond that there was between him and his sister. This was without doubt my favourite part of the story.
I wish I had been more impressed by the plot of The Fearless, but I am glad that the strong characters made up for it.
Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...