Letter From A Reader: The Witch of Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper | Weaving Pages: Letter From A Reader: The Witch of Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper

Thursday, 14 August 2014

Letter From A Reader: The Witch of Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper

Hello Everyone!!

I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley,so thank you to them for letting me review this. I can reveal that I did not expect this to mess this much with my feels...



21422053Title: The Witch of Salt & Storm
Author: Kendall Kulper
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher (Netgalley)
Publisher: Orchard Books
Published: September 4th 2014
No. of Pages: 384


Sixteen-year-old Avery Roe wants only to take her rightful place as the sea witch of Prince Island, making the charms that keep the island's whalers safe and prosperous at sea. But before she could learn how to control her power, her mother - the first Roe woman in centuries to turn her back on magic - steals Avery away from her grandmother. Avery must escape before her grandmother dies, taking with her the secrets of the Roe's power. 

The one magical remnant left to Avery is the ability to read dreams, and one night she foresees her own murder. Time is running short, both for her and for the people of her island who need the witches' help to thrive.
Avery has never read a dream that hasn't come true, but a tattooed harpoon boy named Tane tells her he can help her change her fate. Becoming a witch may prevent her murder and save her island from ruin, but Avery discovers it will also require a sacrifice she never expected. And as she falls in love with Tane, she learns it is his life and hers that hang in the balance.-(Goodreads)
 5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.


Dear The Witch of Salt & Storm,

Do you know what it is I love about reading? It's the small magic every book holds: the ability to allow a reader to jump into it's pages and view their barest soul, because which one of us lies to a book? The same small magic Avery's grandmother talked about, that makes me think of the small leap of faith every person takes when they open a new book, and allow it to envelope them in the purest magic of literature. 
     I'm exceptionally glad that now, the wispy tendrils of your magic curl around my heart, because I would never have betrayed the idea that I might come away from you, WoS&S, with such a powerful cacophony of beautiful sadness. Tears are the art work of mankind, after all.

I come away from gracing my sight upon your words, with much more than glassy eyes and hidden tear tracks. Instead, I find myself in a deep infatuation with your soul, that showed me that even magic- pure, hypnotic, astounding magic -can be spoilt by the vilest of pain. The kind that only tears into your heart once you've layed down your weapon to rest. The kind that causes all that fantastical magic to crumble into ruin within a sentence or two. For that, I cry, WoS&S. I cry until you lift up my chin and present to me the magic that I experience everyday, and the magic that all of us would be empty without. Love- the most powerful and remarkable magic that exists. It's enough to make me smile again, and to remind me how and why Avery set her greatest loves free, and why I must set your ending, no matter how bitter-sweet it was, free. If you love something, it's the right thing to do, and that's why now I let your pages fall from my grasp.

It's not an easy task to lace each word with raw emotion, but you went beyond that, WoW&S. To me, you are the embodiment of the story that you tell. Every time that I fell in love, that I yelled and screamed, that I let tears trickle from eyes was caused because I could not help but be a puppet to your story. What Avery felt was what was causing me to fill up with love, anger or sadness and that's why you leave a mark, WoS&S: because you undeniably almost cause me to believe that I am Avery myself.
     But then, you are such a curious being, WoS&S. Reading your words was at the same time, almost like watching all Avery's hope get crushed and all her chances rot away before she even realised it. And it's horrible. Reading you is like watching fate play out: you can never change what comes next.

And that's how I felt reading about my poor, sweet Tane. Like Avery fell in love, so did I and the magical tattooed boy will not leave me for a while yet, even though he plays among the waves. Tane had heartbreak, first love, determination and so much more carved into his skin, and I smile just thinking of him and Avery. 
     Avery's mother joins Tane. I found her to be the kind of character that held my attention is her palms. I hated her, pitied her and loved her and it seems impossible to read you again, WoS&S, knowing what I know now. Like Avery, she was played so cruelly by her destiny that it wouldn't be fair to call it a game of fate at all. To me, she is an example of our own blindness, for she shows me how easy it is to fall into a pit of your own emotions only to stumble and find that reality is the exact opposite of what you thought.

Now, I wander from your path with the promise that I will never regret, WoS&S. Never regret.

Love,



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...