Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson | Weaving Pages: Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Thursday, 17 July 2014

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Hello Everyone!

Thank you to the lovely people at Hot Key Books for sending this to me for review! As always, this does not affect my opinions. Unfortunately, I did expect a bit more from this book..

18177305
Title: Suite Scarlett
Author: Maureen Johnson
Series: Scarlett #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Published: November 7th 2013
No. of Pages: 368

If living in a famous art deco hotel minutes away from Central Park sounds like your idea of a pretty sweet deal - you should talk to Scarlett Martin. Having a hotel for a home really isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially when you've got no guests, no money and no prospects for any fun thanks to your parents putting you to work all summer. Luckily for Scarlett, the Hopewell is about to be shaken to its foundations with the arrival of Mrs Amberson, a glamorous travelling socialite who's planning on putting down some roots for a while - and hiring Scarlett as her assistant. With a new job, new friends, and (maybe) a new boyfriend on the horizon, Scarlett's summer is beginning to look a lot more interesting... (-Goodreads)
3 stars: Page tweets once, he didn't have strong
feelings for this book. It was just ok.

I absolutely adore comedic books. I really value books that make me laugh, and I think that's one of the reasons I was drawn to this book was the promise of a hilarious time. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by that theme...

The thing is, I am baffled as to why I didn't find this funny. From following Maureen Johnson on twitter, I personally tell people that she is hilarious and completely deserves her Queen of Teen title. I have no doubts about her ability to make the world laugh, but somehow, I didn't even laugh out loud once.. Personally, this was my biggest disappointment, but I also can't help but wonder: Did I choose one of her less funny books? Or have I just simply lost my sense of humour? If I start to believe the latter to be true, then I instantly ended up panicking because I LOVE MY SENSE OF HUMOUR AND I DON'T WANT IT TO LEAVE ME.

On a happier note, my favourite element of the book was probably the characters and their relationships with each other. Scarlett and her brother, Spencer, had the most enjoyable relationship in my opinion. It was fun and light-hearted to read about, but you also got a view of the depth of it when things got rocky between them. Out of all the siblings, Spencer and Scarlett definitely had the best and most enjoyable relationship. 
I did feel as though there was a lack of connection between Scarlett and all the other family members. For example, I felt like I didn't know her mother and father very well.. They were a sparse part of the book, and I think I'd like them to have been more prominent and influential.

My favourite character out of all them was Mrs Ambrose. She was eccentric and the most interesting out of all the characters. I enjoyed all her antics and weird habits, especially when they were paired with her sophisticated way of getting things done. I think that she made the book all the more lively, and for me, was an even more important character than Scarlett!

Now I can get on to my love hate relationship with Eric, Scarlett's new found love. At the beginning of their relationship/fling/what-was-it-exactly? I was pretty happy with things and i enjoyed their company.. However.... things carried on, and.. I wasn't such a happy bunny anymore. Why? Because I now hate Eric's guts. He has no respect and I hope Scarlett never has to look him in the face again. He just.. ugh. 
Suite Scarlett did not fulfil it's promise of humour, but I managed to remain slightly happy with my eccentric friend, Mrs Ambrose.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...