Run by Gregg Olsen | Weaving Pages: Run by Gregg Olsen

Thursday, 3 July 2014

Run by Gregg Olsen

Hello Everyone!

I got this book from the lovely people at Hot Key Books, so thank you to them for sending it to me for review! I really enjoyed this thriller and I'll be looking forward to more books in the Vengeance series.

19548973
Title: Run
Author: Gregg Olsen
Series: Vengeance #1 
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Published: May 1st 2014
No. of Pages: 256

What if you discovered that everything you thought you knew about yourself was a lie? 

Rylee is fifteen. She comes home from school one afternoon to find the most shocking thing possible - her father dead, with a knife through his heart, and a key clutched in his hand. Her mother's purse is on the counter, but she appears to be long gone. A message in blood is written on the floor... RUN.

With her brother in tow, Rylee begins a dark journey, one that will uncover horrific and chilling crimes and lead her to an unexpected and gruesome discovery about her real father and what - or who - is behind his insatiable desire to kill. By the journey's end Rylee's childhood is a long way behind her...-(
Goodreads.) 

4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.

Here I am, getting my head caught up in a thriller again! I was actually unaware that this one was part of a series, but I'm glad it is- I want to see what else happens following these events because it's got me interested in where the plot is leading... On with the review!

In my last review, I mentioned how you don't normally see how the people around a victim deal with grief. I felt that Run joined the previous book in going against that statement by depicting how different relations of different victims were dealing with grief. The difference between Run and the last book however, was that these relations had ended up losing the victim, and we were seeing their grief a good number of years after the event. I liked this particular theme of the book, even though it was very sad, due to the fact that you saw very different people dealing very differently with a similar situations. It shows how no two people will ever deal the same with anything. Just the thought of their feelings is heartbreaking, am I right?

Since we're still on the topic of the plot, I wanted to mention that I really didn't expect the ending to this book! In part, it's to do with the fact that I thought this was a standalone (like I already mentioned) but on the other hand it was just surprising! I think I just didn't even speculate how the book would end, and what it would lead on to. I think it also surprised in terms of character development..

This brings me onto Rylee. She was quite the unpredictable character, and she was smack bang in the centre of the surprising ending. You see, Rylee came across as being very sure of what to do, and being willing to do whatever it takes to get her Mum safe. If I'm honest, it was kind of scary just how ruthless she became. At the beginning of the book, she was at badass-thriller-character level, but by the ending, I was a bit: "Woah, woah, woah, Rylee... You might want to think things through a bit more..." In short, I felt like telling her violence isn;t always the answer..! This didn't bring me not to like her, however, because as you read this, you have this kind of twisted knowledge that she had set out to help someone, but it had turned into a much bigger question of her morals by the end. These kind of books are always conflicting, because you know the character is trying to put things right, but sometimes you can't help but question how right their methods are?

I actually ended up talking to Georgia about this on Goodreads, because her comment on Rylee was exactly the way I felt. Moral of the story: hunt down your friends, make them read the same books as you, then sit and talk about which characters you want to slap and which ones you want to marry. It's like therapy for readers.

Caleb, Rylee's love interest in Run, does not fit into the above categories. I do not know him well enough to want to slap him, but I also do not like him enough to marry him. Nor do I ever think I'll feel that way.
The problem is, Caleb is mentioned occasionally throughout the book, and then appears at the end. Long story short: Caleb is not needed. I felt like he was a random addition to the story, if I'm honest.. Rylee didn't need him, the story didn't need him, and the only reason he was there was to accompany Rylee on her journey into the next book. To be honest, I don't see what the point of his character was. SORRY CALEB!!
Run was enjoyable in due to a prominent theme and engaging ending, however I did feel as though one character wasn't necessary to the story, which let me down a little.

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...