A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey | Weaving Pages: A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey

Wednesday, 9 July 2014

A Breath of Frost by Alyxandra Harvey

Hello Everyone!

I got this book from the publisher, so thank you to the lovely people at Bloomsbury for sending it to me! Unfortunately, I don't think was for me..


Title: A Breath of Frost
Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Series: The Lovegrove Legacy #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Release Date: January 2nd 2014
No. of Pages: 482


Emma Day and her two cousins, Gretchen and Penelope, are uninterested in their debutante lives. All the boring balls, tiresome curtsying and polite conversation leave much to be desired. Then a girl is found dead, frost clinging to her lifeless body, and the murder is traced to Emma. As their world is turned upside down, Emma discovers more about herself and her cousins, from her connection to the murders to the secrets of her family legacy. Now the girls must embrace their true Lovegrove inheritance in order to stop the chaos, even if that means risking their lives. Dangerously handsome Cormac Fairfax wants to help Emma – but, with secrets of his own to hide, can she trust him? -(Goodreads) 
2 stars: Page shakes his head. He was unsatisfied
with this story.

Being a big fan of fantasy books, especially in terms of magic and hidden worlds, I was expecting myself to quite enjoy this, maybe even gain a book boyfriend or two.. As you may have guessed, that didn't happen..

If I'm going to be honest, I was plain old bored when I was reading this. It makes me sad to say that all I wanted to do was finish it, because it wasn't something I was looking forward to read at night or at any other time, really. When I did read it, I was either waiting for something or just felt like I wanted to get it over and done with. Believe me, I hate feeling like this, but I couldn't help it.. :(

The only bit of the book I possibly enjoyed was the characters. They were the most enjoyable part of the book, though. Honestly, I did not like Emma a first, but she did grow on me as the story went on. Despite that, I like her cousins, Gretchen and Penelope, better. They were much more interesting and provided a bit of comic relief to the story.
Cormac's sisters were cool in their brief appearence. They were the first characters that I actually liked, but I would have like to see more of them.. Their brother, Cormac, on the other hand... well... I didn't care for him at all. I found him boring, plain and a bit of an idiot. Why Emma liked him so much, I do not know. Then again, she did spend a good part of the book joining him in the plain and boring section..
As you can probably tell, I liked the secondary characters much better than the main ones. In fact, there was a seperate storyline that I think I would rather follow than Emma's.. Ah well, what can you do?

This next reason for disliking A Breath of Frost is kind of weird... I'm not sure when, but at one point I felt like this book was trying too hard to be as good as other books, in a sense. I can't give you evidence that it was doing that, but I just had this feeling that if this book were on a casual date, it might turn up dressed in killer heels and a red dress... It's kind of a ridiculous reason, but it's something that popped into my head when I read it, and I thought I should mention it. Anyone feel the same way?
For me, the only enjoyable part of A Breath of Frost was the characters. The rest was a bit of a let down.. :(

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...