The Diviners by Libba Bray | Weaving Pages: The Diviners by Libba Bray

Friday, 20 June 2014

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Hello Everyone!

Despite having high expectations, I was let down by this book. I really didn't expect this, though... 

15783083Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
Series: The Diviners #1
Source: Library
Publisher: ATOM
Release Date: September 18th 2012
No. of Pages: 592


It's 1920s New York City. It's flappers and Follies, jazz and gin. It's after the war but before the depression. And for certain group of bright young things it's the opportunity to party like never before.

For Evie O'Neill, it's escape. She's never fit in in small town Ohio and when she causes yet another scandal, she's shipped off to stay with an uncle in the big city. But far from being exile, this is exactly what she's always wanted: the chance to show how thoroughly modern and incredibly daring she can be.

But New York City isn't about just jazz babies and follies girls. It has a darker side. Young women are being murdered across the city. And these aren't crimes of passion. They're gruesome. They're planned. They bear a strange resemblance to an obscure group of tarot cards. And the New York City police can't solve them alone.

Evie wasn't just escaping the stifling life of Ohio, she was running from the knowledge of what she could do. She has a secret. A mysterious power that could help catch the killer - if he doesn't catch her first.
 -(Goodreads) 


2 stars: Page shakes his head. He was unsatisfied
with this story.

I'm really sad that I didn't enjoy this book. I think I had really high expectations to be honest, but I was just let down? Maybe it's to do with the fact that this is what I read after City of Heavenly Fire, which is a REALLY hard book to beat..

To me, EVERYTHING pointed to the idea that I was gonna love this book. I loved the plot line, the setting and I was really interested by what was going to happen, but something just went wrong and I didn't click with this book.
The plot line was great. It was mysterious and I felt that there was a good story going on, filled with mystery and supernatural happenings. I love paranormal books, as well as historical fiction and mystery books, so it's not like my rating is down to the genre, but then I'm not sure I can outright tell you what was wrong.

I loved the 1920s setting. It has to be one of my favourite eras, because young people started challenging the expectations society set for them, and it was a bit of a revolution. People were independent, daring and creative. As a lover of the arts, what sounds better than a bit of jazz music, dancing and flapper outfits? If I'm honest, this is probably the thing that I enjoyed the most out of the whole book. I felt like Libba bray did an excellent job of portraying the parties in the city and the 'bright young things', but still, something was off.

I feel as though I started this book off fairly interested. Then slowly, I started getting bored. I didn't want to pick up the book, and I found out that I didn't have the slightest interest in seeing what was going to happen. Strangely, I still wanted to know the outcome of the book, but the thought of trudging boredly through this great, big book was awful. I was just bored. it just doesn't make sense to me- the book seemed to be doing everything right, but I was just not captivated.

I was thinking, and I started to speculate that it might be something to do with the writing. I have nothing against Libba Bray's writing. There is nothing about it that I could say it bad, but my theory is maybe the thing that I didn't click with was the writing. Maybe it didn't enthral me enough? Maybe I felt it should have been written in a different manner? Maybe it could have been more fast-paced? I don't think I can pin point exactly what I think could have been wrong for me..

Something else I disagree with was the character pairings. Did not enjoy those.. but that's just me being picky and a small thing!

Has anyone else read this book? What were your opinion? I would really love to discuss this with you, and why you think that maybe I didn't like it?
Despite all the signs pointing to an AMAZING book, I just wasn't feeling it and was bored throughout this book.

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...