Fracture by Megan Miranda | Weaving Pages: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Friday, 27 June 2014

Fracture by Megan Miranda

Hello Everyone!

Thank you to the lovely people at Bloomsbury for sending this to me for review! As always, this does not affect my opinions.

18243727
Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Series: Fracture #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published: February 13th 2014
No. of Pages: 272

When Decker found Delaney kissing his best friend Carson, he told himself that it meant nothing. But then Carson calls to Delaney from across the vast frozen lake. Jealous, Decker insists they walk over the fragile ice. Halfway, he leaves her there ...Ten minutes without air, Delaney will be dead. Decker pulls her out of the icy waters after eleven. Delaney is alive, but now she is drawn to those who are dying ...and to stranger, Troy - someone Decker should see as a threat. (-Goodreads)
3 stars: Page tweets once, he didn't have strong
feelings for this book. It was just ok.


So after a bit of a disappointment with the last book I read, it was great to see something that managed to please me! I've had this on my shelf for ages, too, so it's finally time that I got round to reading Fracture.

My favourite part of the book was witnessing Delaney struggle with her new ability. I wouldn't exactly call it a gift... more like a curse? Anyway, I quite liked that this was kind of a supernatural element in an otherwise perfectly normal kind of book. It think this meant it drew more attention to this certain detail and it gave Megan Miranda a lot of space for her to explore the themes of the novel. 
By allowing Delaney to have an internal debate over her and a different character's view on what action it right when a person is suffering, I found myself quite interested. I felt that the idea of morals and what you feel is the right thing to do was nicely introduced, and it was something that I didn't expect. There was also a certain bit in the novel that unexpectedly brought a few tears to my eyes when something hit much closer to home for Delaney- I wasn't expecting that either!

Another element of the book I enjoyed was seeing how her parent coped with what had happened. I think they actually had a very different reaction to what I expected, but now that I think about it, I don't think I should have been. Seeing how her parents coped, however, was a very important part of the novel, because I think that sometimes it isn't clear how the people around a victim of an accident cope. You always experience the feelings of the victim, because it's in their point of view, but it often slips from your mind to wonder: "How do their parents feel?" or "How do their siblings feel?" It was nice to see a small change in that pattern.

In terms of character relationships, I enjoyed Delaney and Decker's relationship the most, but if I'm honest, I didn't feel that great of an attachment to any of them. The strongest feelings I had throughout the book, were probably left for Troy, who you shall meet if you read this. Why were my feelings strong, I hear you ask? He was a creep. Just...creepy.
Fracture tackled what I felt were interesting themes, but it failed to give me any strong connections to it's characters.
Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...