(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn | Weaving Pages: (Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

Sunday, 11 May 2014

(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

Hello Everyone!

I received this book for review from the publisher via Edelweiss, so thank you to them for allowing me to review it.

18599667
Title: (Don't You) Forget About Me
Author: Kate Karyus Quinn
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: June 10th 2014
No. of Pages: 336


Welcome to Gardnerville.

A place where no one gets sick. And no one ever dies.

Except...
There’s a price to pay for paradise. Every fourth year, the strange power that fuels the town exacts its payment by infecting teens with deadly urges. In a normal year in Gardnerville, teens might stop talking to their best friends. In a fourth year, they’d kill them.

Four years ago, Skylar’s sister, Piper, was locked away after leading sixteen of her classmates to a watery grave. Since then, Skylar has lived in a numb haze, struggling to forget her past and dull the pain of losing her sister. But the secrets and memories Piper left behind keep taunting Skylar—whispering that the only way to get her sister back is to stop Gardnerville’s murderous cycle once and for all.
 -(Goodreads)
4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.

*sings the title* You have to agree with me, that is a pretty awesome title. I salute Kate Karyus Quinn for using it, because every time I see this I want to start singing. However, don't go reading this book thinking you'll be able to sing along to everything- it's more like you'll be able to be impeccably curious because of everything.

My first comment on this book, if I'm correct, was:
"This is so creepy. But captivating. I'm scared... but I'm not. I'M SO CONFLICTED."
To me, that sums up the feeling of this book EXACTLY. It's like it draws you in only to creep you out just enough so that whilst you're wary, you're too curious to put it down. It lures you into a storyline that to me is like a bunch of tangled webs: beautiful but so intricate that it's difficult to get out of, and when you finally manage to clear it, you wonder what was so hard to figure out in the first place. That alone, should make you want to read this book.

Another thing that I liked was that between each chapter that was following the storyline, there was one chapter where Sky speaks directly to Piper. These chapters were hauntingly perfect, as they gave you a much wider background on Sky's story, Piper's story and the whole town's story. You see, I feel as though this book is ultimately one of the most clandestine you'll ever read, and that is what makes it so unique- the fact that you're in the dark until the last word. 

To me, the ending was mind-blowing. Not because of the events, but because of what you find out. I would never have guessed the truth- that's how creative and clever Quinn is. The funny thing, is that no matter how wild and unimaginable the truth was, it all seemed to click. It was as though suddenly, I understood everything that had happened and it just felt right. It felt as though I could see now that what I knew before had been wrong on so many different levels and *starts to sing* "AND AT LAST I SEE THE LIGHTTTTTT, AND IT'S LIKE THE FOG HAS LIFTEEDDD."

I think I enjoyed all the characters in the book. None really stood out for me, but they were all impossible to figure out. They were complicated, flawed and filled with grief, not to mention all of the dark secrets practically everyone in that creepy town had.. They perfectly compilmented the storyline, in my opinion.
(Don't You) Forget About Me is a slow-burning tale that refuses to give ups it's secrets, until you realise they were in plain sight all along..

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...