House of Ivy & Sorrow by Natalie Whipple | Weaving Pages: House of Ivy & Sorrow by Natalie Whipple

Saturday, 5 April 2014

House of Ivy & Sorrow by Natalie Whipple

Hello Everyone!

I received this book for review from the lovely people at HarperTeen via Edelweiss, so thank you to them for letting me review this! Unfortunately, it wasn't the book for me..

15728807 Title: House of Ivy & Sorrow
Author: Natalie Whipple
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher (via Edelweiss)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 15th 2014
No. of Pages: 352


Josephine Hemlock has spent the last 10 years hiding from the Curse that killed her mother. But when a mysterious man arrives at her ivy-covered, magic-fortified home, it’s clear her mother’s killer has finally come to destroy the rest of the Hemlock bloodline. Before Jo can even think about fighting back, she must figure out who she’s fighting in the first place. The more truth Jo uncovers, the deeper she falls into witchcraft darker than she ever imagined. Trapped and running out of time, she begins to wonder if the very Curse that killed her mother is the only way to save everyone she loves. -(Goodreads) 

2 stars: Page shakes his head. He was unsatisfied
with this story.

 I was disappointed with House of Ivy & Sorrow. Like with all books, I was hoping for it to be some amazing book that made me grin wildly, but unfortunately, I was just left feeling like "meh." I have no feelings for this book, and I NEED FEELINGS. That might sound kind of weird, but it's true.

I want to lighten things up a little, and tell you what I did enjoy: The focus on different relationships. 
Everyone in this book seemed to have such tight family bonds- sometimes without even being family, which was endearing to see. Jo's relationships with her Nana and her friends, Kat and Gwen never failed to warm my heart with how much they relied and need each other, so I can not fault this book when it comes to creating realistic relationships between characters. 

Obviously we had the whole romance storyline going on too, but I wasn't as interested in that as I was when it came to realising how much this world of witches relied on a sort of sisterly bond with each other. It was a really, really strong bond, you may say, since it was absolutely 'Sisters before Misters' with this lot. They may have as well put an unbreakable vow on it. 

Once I finished this, I kept deliberating whether to give this book two stars, or three stars. I decided to be a little bit tougher and give this two stars on the account that I can't see myself thinking about this book in a months time, let alone going back to re-read it - something I rarely do even with books I ADORE. It saddens me to say that this book wasn't memorable for me, and that's why I can't bring myself to like it. Hopefully someone else with love it way more than me!

I also didn't like the ending- not because of what happened but because of how it was structured. I felt like it was rushed and unrealistic. It was as though the whole book had been building up to the ending, and then a few pages later I'm like: That's it?? Again it's the whole 'I have no feelings about this' thing. 
Despite loving the relationships in House of Ivy & Sorrow, I was disappointed with it and won't be recommending this book, unfortunately.


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...