The Shadow Prince by Bree Despain | Weaving Pages: The Shadow Prince by Bree Despain

Sunday, 16 February 2014

The Shadow Prince by Bree Despain

Hello Everyone!

I got this book from the publisher via Edelweiss so thank you to them for letting me review this. Also, this book has managed to be one of those where I have to mope around for ages, waiting for the next book..

Title: The Shadow Prince
Author: Bree Despain
Series: Into the Dark #1
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Publisher: Egmont
Release Date: March 11th 2014
No. of Pages: 512

Haden Lord, the disgraced prince of the Underrealm, has been sent to the mortal world to entice a girl into returning with him to the land of the dead. Posing as a student at Olympus Hills High—a haven for children of the rich and famous—Haden must single out the one girl rumored to be able to restore immortality to his race.

Daphne Raines has dreams much bigger than her tiny southern Utah town, so when her rock star dad suddenly reappears, offering her full tuition to Olympus Hills High’s prestigious music program, she sees an opportunity to catch the break she needs to make it as a singer. But upon moving into her estranged father’s mansion in California, and attending her glamorous new school, Daphne soon realizes she isn’t the only student in Olympus who doesn’t quite belong. (The rest of the description can be found on Goodreads.)


4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.


Like I said, I got this book from Edelweiss as it seemed really interesting and like something I would like to read. Then I read this while I was on holiday, and I'm so glad I did! This book ended up giving me a new series to read and maybe a weird ship...

First thing about this book was that each chapter switches from Daphne's POV to Haden't POV and so on. I found that this does take some getting used to because personally, it's not my favourite story format. This is because I find that although it keeps you reading, it can sometimes make me bored during another character POV because I want to find out what happens to the other character. 
However, although this did happen occasionally, what I didn't like was that when the POV switched, a bit of what had just happened in the last chapter was repeated, but from a different POV. I felt that this wasn't needed but it was something I just had to get used to over the course of the novel.

Something that I really like about this book, was the mythology aspect. I love all kinds of mythology and EVERYONE knows the myth about Peresphone and Hades. I personally, also love to see twists on traditional aspects of human culture or of any subject really! So this take on the myth or at least what the people of this book believed about the myth of Peresphone was something I loved reading. This is because there are so many different opinions and it just gives so much space for your mind to wander!

 I really ship Daphne and Haden.. Gosh, I'm distraught at having to wait more than a year to read the next book because just as there was romance actually developing without Daphne thinking Haden is a stalker (Which he kind of is...but not anymore!!) the book ended. This basically managed to give me a bad case of the feels. Thanks.

However, depending what mood I am in, I may ship Daphne and Brin, who is a hellcat. This is not weird. It is simply because Brin really likes Daphne when she sings and I think they would be great together! You see: NOT WEIRD.

So yes, now you have been informed of the weird ship this book has caused me to ship, I suggest you go add this to your TBR. Yes, shoo! Go!

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...