Hostage Three by Nick Lake | Weaving Pages: Hostage Three by Nick Lake

Sunday, 2 February 2014

Hostage Three by Nick Lake

Hello Everyone! 

I got this book for review from the lovely people at Bloomsbury Children's Books, so thank you to them for sending it to me! Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me.

17286900 Title: Hostage Three
Author: Nick Lake
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's
Published: January 1st 2013
No. of Pages: 384


 The last thing Amy planned to do this summer was sail around the world trapped on a yacht with her father and her stepmother. Really, all she wanted was to fast-forward to October when she’ll turn
eighteen and take control of her own life.

Aboard the Daisy May, Amy spends time sunbathing, dolphin watching and forgetting the past as everything floats by . . . until one day in the Gulf of Aden another boat appears. A boat with guns and pirates – the kind that kill.

Immediately, the pirates seize the boat and its human cargo. Hostage One is Amy’s father – the most valuable. Hostage Two: her stepmother. And Hostage Three is Amy, who can’t believe what’s happening. As the ransom brokering plays out, Amy finds herself becoming less afraid, and even
stranger still, drawn to one of her captors, a teenage boy who wants desperately to be more than who he has become. Suddenly it becomes brutally clear that the price of life and its value are two very different things . .
.
-(Goodreads)
1 star: Page is very unhappy. This book failed to
make him tweet, sing or fly.


I was expecting to really like this book. I was just so interested by the story that I had quite high hopes, but unfortunately, as soon as I started reading it I ended up being quote disappointed,

Like I said, I was really interested in the plot line to this book. It's something we do hear about on the news, and though we get books about the sort of pirates that sail the seven seas, etc. I've never heard of one that's about the modern kind, so it is a very original idea. However, I ended up not liking the plot at all. I couldn't get into the story, and I even had to put the book down and read another one instead- though I decided to pick it up again afterwards.

Now, I may be wrong- so don't shout at me if I am! -but I felt like the story was actually a bit unrealistic compared to what happens when people get taken hostage. This is what I think from my limited knowledge on the subject, and I'm sure that there was some truth to the situation, but I couldn't bring myself to believe in what was actually happening.

I also didn't like the characters. I couldn't relate to any of them, though I did find their stories to be interesting as I learned more about them. The main character, Amy, was really unlikable in my opinion- though I do think she was meant to be. I felt that she did improve as the story went on, but again, I couldn't bring myself to empathise with her. The only character that I felt the slightest bit of sympathy/empathy for was Farouz, but I still don't feel as if I made a connection with any of the characters.

If I'm honest, I don't think I have anymore to say about this book, so I'll end this review here.
 Unfortunately, I won't be recommending Hostage Three to anyone, although someone else may enjoy it more than me.

Bye! xx
 


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...