Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith | Weaving Pages: Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith

Monday, 13 January 2014

Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith

Hello Everyone!

I was sent this book by the lovely people over at Penguin Books, so thank you to them for sending it to me!
 
428862Title: Wreck This Journal
Author: Keri Smith
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Penguin Books
Published: October 14th 2010
No. of Pages: 192


For anyone who's ever wished to, but had trouble starting, keeping, or finishing a journal or sketchbook comes Wreck This Journal, an illustrated book that features a subversive collection of prompts, asking readers to muster up their best mistake- and mess-making abilities to fill the pages of the book (and destroy them). Acclaimed illustrator Keri Smith encourages journalers to engage in "destructive" acts-poking holes through pages, adding photos and defacing them, painting with coffee, and more-in order to experience the true creative process. Readers discover a new way of art and journal making-and new ways to escape the fear of the blank page and fully engage in the creative process.-(Goodreads)

4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.


The reason I've taken so long to review this book, is that I expected to finish it quite quickly, but I didn't. I ended up always telling myself that I was going to complete a few more pages but I either ended up procrastinating or having to do something else.
As soon as I got this book, I had so much fun. I think the first page I completed, along with the help of my Mum and my Sister, was one where we had to throw something at this target on the book. Here are some pictures: (By the way, for some reason I decided to get all artistic when taking these pictures, so their kind of close up..)

 As you can see, there was a target which we threw paint at and in the process made a total mess, but that's always the best kind of fun! I remember (kind of..) that I was the colour red, so the photo just proves that I completely won this, not my sister.

Next, I did this page where I basically stuck a load of things I found to the journal. This was during Autumn so naturally, there were a lot of leaves around so I stuck them down along with pieces of paper and even crayon wrappers!

Here, I had to rip the page to shreds. It was a sad moment.. but then I got over it, because this book allows you no time to feel sad for ruining it, since the thing that's being ruined is what's ordering you about!

The page after the latter required me to glue, tape or staple the two pages together, and who was I to argue! I was going to staple them, but I couldn't actually find the stapler thingy, so I stuck to glue.

It was morning when I decided to do this funnel activity. Basically, you had to make a funnel with the page from the journal, and then you had to drink from it. Let's just say that was.. eventful. It's surprisingly hard.

There is a page that tells you to doodle over the cover, title page, instructions, etc. so I just had a lot of fun writing song lyrics all over the pages, along with a really bad drawing of an eye, the Deathly Hallows symbol,and the Mockingjay pin. Yep, I find it really hard to come up with original things to doodle!

This sign is basically me being a book pusher and telling people to read a book. I wasn't feeling creative that day, otherwise I may have come up with something more original.

This is one of the last pages I've done, with the aid of my Mum, my Dad and my Sister. I just forced them to write Squids all over the pages after I had, and every now and again I go back and write "Squids." in any gaps I see!

I still have LOADS to do in this book, but the problem is some of the things I'd rather do when it's nice and sunny, and right now it's not. It's all cold and dark, which means I'd rather be curled up on the sofa instead of dropping books from trees..
 
Wreck This Journal is a really fun book to complete, but it may take a while depending on your level of dedication / ability to not procrastinate.

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...