This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith | Weaving Pages: This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Friday, 17 January 2014

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Hello Everyone!

This is another book I got for Christmas, because I wanted to read for AGES, and now I finally have!
 
15790873Title: This is What Happy Looks Like
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Headline
Release Date: April 2nd 2013
No. of Pages: 416


If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?
-(Goodreads)



4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.


You may know that I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to cute contemporary books. Usually, no matter how much I hate the rest of the story, I can find at least a smidge of space where I have at least one "Aww!" moment because of the romance. Thankfully, this was a case where I really enjoyed the whole story!

This was such a sweet story! I fell in love with the romance, and I didn't want to put it down! This book is actually very important, because I started reading it in 2013, but finished it in 2014. Therefore, it's like a multi-year book, and yes, I am making this up as I go along. Back to the book, I believed in Graham and Ellie's romance from the beginning and was probably the first person that started waving flags and pulling party poppers whenever there was ANY romance! 
Also, the plot line was quite an original idea, because it's such a weird thought that because of a mistyped email, these two found each other, and Aww.!

I loved the emails that started it all! At the beginning of the book there are three or four pages where you find out how Graham and Ellie first start talking to each other, and I found that a great touch to the book, instead of just plunging into the story straight away. At the beginning of each chapter, there was also a single email which gave you a slight insight on what was going to happen in the chapter, and what POV it would be in. This just made me even more curious about what was going to happen, so it may be one of the cause as to why I couldn't put This Is What Happy Looks Like down!

This novel also had a view on fame that I agree with, and it ended up confirming what I already believe: Fame isn't everything. Sure it's great the idea of everyone knowing you name, and that it'll all be diamonds, money and designer clothes, but it's not as amazing as everyone makes it out to be. Graham was an example of how badly it can affect a person. He was basically not living before he met Ellie. He had to act a certain way, see certain people and say certain things. The problem with the paparazzi that occurred in this book shows how people like Graham end up having no privacy at all, and you could see the impact that had on Graham and his relationships with people.

Something else I like about this book, was that it didn't just focus completely on the romance, but there was also some focus on Ellie and Graham's other relationships. For example, all the people who were close to the main characters, such as best friends, parents, etc. all had some sort of impact on the story. There were some many different kinds of relationships in this book, and I felt that Jennifer E. Smith did a great job of exploring and portraying them.
 This is What Happy Looks Like was a cute love story, with a different look on fame and emails.

Bye! xx




rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...