Letter From a Reader: The Book Thief | Weaving Pages: Letter From a Reader: The Book Thief

Thursday, 9 January 2014

Letter From a Reader: The Book Thief

 Hello Everyone!

My dad brought me this book back from America, and now I have experienced my feelings being slayed at the hands of this book. I'm fine. Yep. *bursts into tears*

893136
Title: The Book Thief
Author: Marcus Zusak
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Black Swan
Published:  January 1st 2005
No. of Pages: 554


HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE.

1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.

Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH.

It's a small story, about: a girl, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.

5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.



Dear The Book Thief,

You are beautiful. I feel like describing you would be injustice, but like you have taught me, words are powerful things. I devoured your words in a day, because the more I read, the more I needed to know. Sometimes, you told me things I didn't want to know, because I wanted to believe that everything would be fine, but knowledge has a price. I paid it in tears.

Your story made me happy, angry, sad and joyful- a whirlwind of emotions. It made me think about the questions, that deep down we all have. 
I am angry because I want an answer as to why when others make mistakes, the innocent people are the ones that pay. I am happy because I found eternal friendship and the light in the dark between your pages. I am sad for the colours. I am joyful that you opened my eyes.

I met a father, a mother, a girl, a best friend, a wife, a husband, brothers and sisters. I met the cause of it all. With them, I met courage, hope, dreams, kindness and sacrifice. It upsets me to say that I also met cowardice, hate and violence, but that is the world for you: Where there is good, there is always bad.

Liesel showed me courage, faith and love. She understood more than those who were older than her and overcame her fears. She learned how to trust, and with that came what I hope is a life long friendship. 
She is one of the most determined characters I've met. Her need to conquer the books and the words was one of a kind, and though stealing may be frowned upon, I am unable to find one bad thing in her that I know she won't conquer. She inspires me to be the best I can be and to be forgiving and have tremendous amounts of courage. Just like she does.

In Rudy I found a best friend. He's such a character and I'm so glad I have the chance to know him. I couldn't help but feel like he was my friend too, even though he is a creation of paper and words. But those two things can create the most powerful of feelings, so I'm sure that for me and many others, Rudy is real.

So there you go Book Thief. I have tried my best to put you into words, but I still feel like I haven't done you justice. To feel like I do as I write this, you have to set on a journey and meet every character, and feel every emotion, no matter how small, before you understand what The Book Thief is. When that has happened, you'll feel happy.

Love,


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...