The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes | Weaving Pages: The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Saturday, 14 December 2013

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Hello Everyone!

I got this book for review from the lovely people at Quercus Books, so thank you to them for letting me review The Naturals! I have wanted to read this book for a while, so I was so excited to read it!

18591093
Title:  The Naturals
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Series: The Naturals #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher:  Quercus
Published: November 5th 2013
No. of Pages: 304


Seventeen-year-old Cassie is a natural at reading people. Piecing together the tiniest details, she can tell you who you are and what you want. But it’s not a skill that she’s ever taken seriously. That is, until the FBI come knocking: they’ve begun a classified program that uses exceptional teenagers to crack infamous cold cases, and they need Cassie.

What Cassie doesn’t realize is that there’s more at risk than a few unsolved homicides— especially when she’s sent to live with a group of teens whose gifts are as unusual as her own.

Sarcastic, privileged Michael has a knack for reading emotions, which he uses to get inside Cassie’s head—and under her skin. Brooding Dean shares Cassie’s gift for profiling, but keeps her at arm’s length.

Soon, it becomes clear that no one in the Naturals program is what they seem. And when a new killer strikes, danger looms closer than Cassie could ever have imagined. Caught in a lethal game of cat and mouse with a killer, the Naturals are going to have to use all of their gifts just to survive. -(Goodreads)

4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.

I always seem to really enjoy mystery books, probably because they get my mind working trying to figure out what's happened. They also tend to be really gripping and give you multiple heart attacks along the way... annndddd they keep me up at night. Occasionally.

I really enjoyed the different abilities the characters had. They were all things that they themselves were 'naturals' at, but they weren't superpowers which -though I love characters with superpowers- made the characters more realistic and stopped the book from crossing slightly into the paranormal/fantasy genres. If it had, I definitely think The Naturals wouldn't have worked as well as it did.
When I say the abilities made the characters more realistic, I think it's because it's more relatable for the reader because they don't have to go around hoping to be bitten by a radioactive spider... (Sorry Spiderman.)

Because I'm nice, I'm going to go ahead and warn you that The Naturals is actually really quite creepy to be honest. I didn't expect it to actually be this creepy, but it actually did scare me a bit. I think it was particularly these bits where the profilers- the main character included- have to try and get into the killer's head to try and figure out the mystery. To do this, they use either "You" or "I" when going through the evidence, and it freaked me out and gave me the chills!! It reminded me of another book where there are some extracts for the killer's point of view, and it's really scary to read!

I did actually read this book in one day! It was one of those days where I attached myself to the book I was reading and it sort of became my twin.. I probably just ignored humanity all day long whilst I was busy getting scared by this book..

 We have a love triangle in this series. Um, I'm not sure if I'm getting sick of love triangles or not- I'm just kind of meh about them, but as always I must pick a side. How on earth am I meant to get major feels if I don't? Anyway, I am Team Dean. He just way more awesome than Michael- who just started to get on my nerves anyway...

 I'm definitely going to be reading the next book in the series, because I can't wait to see what Cassie and the rest of the naturals will be getting up to!

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...