The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken | Weaving Pages: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Friday, 6 December 2013

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Hi Everyone!

This is one of those books that from the moment I heard about it, I just HAD to read it. Not reading it, wasn't an option so when I got the chance to beg someone to get it for me, I took it! Hehe!

Title:  The Darkest Minds
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Series: The Darkest Minds #1
Source: Bought
Publisher:  Disney Hyperion
Published: December 18th 2012
No. of Pages: 488


When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.

Now sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones.

When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. Now she’s on the run, desperate to find the one safe haven left for kids like her—East River. She joins a group of kids who escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can’t risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents.

When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people who will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at a life worth living.


 5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.

I have no idea how I heard about this book- I just did, but immediately knew I had to read it. My dad was also in America from a week, and knowing that this book isn't available in stores  in the UK, only online, I asked my Dad to bring it back for me. Which makes this book extremely special!

I honestly adored the storyline of The Darkest Minds. The idea of there being a 'disease', called IAAN, that usually hits children at the age of ten and either leaves them dead or with psychic powers, was kind of a deal breaker for me because it seems to be such a unique idea that's the perfect blend of both the paranormal and dystopian genre. I also felt that this plot brought up the question of family loyalty. If I had to compare it to a situation, it's kind of the idea that if someone you loved had a deadly, contagious disease would you leave them so as to not contract it or not? In this book though, many parents were actually afraid of their children and willingly gave them up to the government- which I think is completely horrible.

I also really enjoyed the diversity of the psychic powers the children had. I liked the idea of how dangerous the powers were ranged from not dangerous at all, to a point where the government were actually 'disposing' of some of the children with those powers. Personally, I felt it gave a whole new meaning to "angst ridden teenager."

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect protagonist. There was just something about Ruby that made me really empathize with her, and maybe it was the fact that I found her to be really compassionate. I'm not sure there is a moment in the book where Ruby is unnecessarily unkind to someone else and another thing is that Ruby only uses her powers when absolutely necessary. This was something that I took notice of especially, because Ruby wasn't scared of how her powers could hurt her, she was scared about how they could hurt other people, and I think that really says something about her character.

To me, Liam, Ruby, Chubs and Zu make up some sort of bookish dream team. I love each and everyone of them and they were just so close. I couldn't get over the bond they had because although they didn't always agree with each other, they all had something that brought them together and helped them to understand each other. Oh, and Zu. She has a special place in my heart just for her, because I just want to hug her so bad!

LIAM AND RUBY. I should just leave it at that because THE FEELS. I can not get over how perfect these two are for each other.. I'm a fangirling mess just typing this! This is exactly why the ending killed me, okay? HOW, WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN..? *gets overwhelmed by emotions*

ERROR: Rita was unable to continue this review due to excessive feelings.




rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...