She is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick | Weaving Pages: She is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

Friday, 20 December 2013

She is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

Hello Everyone!

I received this book for review from the publishers Indigo, so thank you to them for sending it to me! 

 Title: She is Not Invisible
Author: Marcus Sedgwick
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Indigo
Published: October 3rd 2013
No. of Pages: 384


Laureth Peak's father is a writer. For years he's been trying, and failing, to write a novel about coincidence. His wife thinks he's obsessed, Laureth thinks he's on the verge of a breakdown. He's supposed to be doing research in Austria, so when his notebook shows up in New York, Laureth knows something is wrong. On impulse she steals her mother's credit card and heads for the States, taking her strange little brother Benjamin with her. Reunited with the notebook, they begin to follow clues inside, trying to find their wayward father. Ahead lie challenges and threats, all of which are that much tougher for Laureth than they would be for any other 16-year old. Because Laureth Peak is blind. -(Goodreads)


4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.

I found She is Not Invisible to have such an interesting concept from the minute I read the blurb. It seems to be quite a normal book until you get to the last sentence: "Laureth Peak is blind." For some people, that can change your perspective on the book, but for me, it made Laureth an even more remarkable heroine.

Something that I decided almost as soon as I started reading this book was that I love Laureth's narration of it. She has the perfect inner monologue to narrate this type of story and I really enjoyed seeing things from her point of view. I felt that she brought my attention to so many things I had never really thought about before and really made me think. I also loved her perspective on the world. Since Laureth has never seen anything, she finds her way through sounds, smells and all her other senses- even things that we don't consider senses such as feelings you get. It was really inspiring because Laureth never assumed what people were like and didn't judge them, and I felt that she was such a better person than some people are today.

Since Laureth's dad was writing a book on coincidence, it was mentioned heavily throughout the book and I absolutely loved that. Laureth's dad was absolutely obsessed with the idea of coincidence, but I found reading the excerpts of his notebook really interesting. They taught me things I didn't know and put some really interesting ideas forward. I especially liked the story about Edgar Allan Poe and Richard Parker. It was so curious but scary at the same time. I was also introduced to a number of other famous names such as Jung and Pauli and they were really interesting to learn about.

Benjamin (Laureth's brother) had such and incredible relationship with Laureth. They both put so much faith in each other that it was so heart-warming. I kind of felt that this made Benjamin seem wiser beyond his years sometimes, because Laureth trusted him to do so many things. Stan was also one of my favourite characters (He is a fluffy Raven, not a blackbird.) and he sort of counteracted that effect of Benjamin seeming too old, which was a good thing- otherwise Benjamin wouldn't have been a realistic seven year old. The Benjamin Effect was also a funny touch to the book- you'll find out what that is if you read the book!

I did feel that this isn't very fast-moving, though.. It can be a bit slow at times which can make it hard to feel like you are progressing throughout the book and it stops the book from being unputdownable, which is a shame since it's a great book!
However, She is Not Invisible has some EXTREMELY nice touches when you get to the end of the book, I'm not going to reveal what they are, but I found them so cool!

Overall, She is Not Invisible is an eye opening book that will inspire you and make you think.

Bye! xx





rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...