Mini Review: Falling Hard by Megan Sparks | Weaving Pages: Mini Review: Falling Hard by Megan Sparks

Sunday, 8 December 2013

Mini Review: Falling Hard by Megan Sparks

Hi Everyone!

I received this book from Curious Fox books, so thank you to them for sending it to me!! This  book was a short, light-read that was enjoyable to read.

17888623 
Title: Falling Hard
Author: Megan Sparks
Series: Roller Girls #1
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Curious Fox Books
Published: 2013
No. of Pages: 192

When Annie moves from London to a small town in the midwest, she struggles to fit in. She gets off to a bad start when she makes an enemy of her school's queen bee, Kelsey. But she discovers a new passion, the exciting sport of roller derby, and makes friends with the cool and quirky girls on her team, the Liberty Belles. She also meets Jesse, the friendly boy who works at the roller rink, and Tyler, a cute, all-American sports star.

3 stars: Page tweets once, he didn't have strong
feelings for this book. It was just ok.


I think one of my reasons for requesting this book was that a lot of other bloggers who are part of Team Fox, also requested it and loved it! Plus, I really liked the description since it just convinces me even more that this might just be an awesome book. Unfortunately, I don't think I liked it as much as I thought I would..

I have to say that what I loved the most about this book, was the Roller Derby. I had honestly never heard of it before, so it was really interesting to find out about a new sport! I think I had fun just reading about all the competitions that the Roller Girls did, but I don't think I'd ever be able to actually take part in Roller Derby.. Why... THE VIOLENCE. I would probably be the person squeaking and trying not to get hit.. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have a go though!

In terms of characters, I wasn't really that pleased with the ones in the book. I found them all quite plain and cliché. You had Annie, then Kelsey who was your stereotypical mean girl, then all the other characters just seemed to fade into the background. I didn't like the love interests either. Again, they are just way too cliché, and though I might be wrong, I think she's going to end up choosing Jesse. 

The problem with this love triangle is that I'm just not invested in it at all. If I'm honest, I only usually like love triangles when they're actually done well, fit with the story, and get me invested in my favourite guy, etc. When a love triangle doesn't do that, I would rather it wasn't in a book. Not because I don't like them, but because I feel like there is no point to it being in the story. This is how the hint at a love triangle in Roller Girls makes me feel, and even though there may not end up even being one, I'm still not invested in the potential love interests so I can't say I'll enjoy the romance part of the story.

Overall, Falling Hard introduced me to an exciting sport but unfortunately, I felt it lacked a little when it came to the romance.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...