Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd | Weaving Pages: Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

Sunday, 22 December 2013

Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

Hello Everyone!

I got this book for review from the publishers via Edelweiss, so thank you to them for letting me review it!

16182304Title: Her Dark Curiosity
Author: Megan Shepherd
Series: The Madman's Daughter #2
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: January 28th 2014
No. of Pages: 368


To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.

Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.

As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again.

As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive. -(Goodreads)

4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.


Her Dark Curiosity is such a hard book to review. Probably because it's such a remarkable and well written story but it also brings up ideas that you just can't get your head around.
This book has such a dark story, but I feel that it's mainly to do with one of the ideas it (in a way) tackles. The writing just makes you really aware of what Juliet feels about her father's madness, and her fears about her curiosity and whether she has that madness or not. I felt that it kind of scares you of yourself, because it can feel like it's suggesting that everyone has darkness in them, which creates quite a macabre feeling to it.
However, I found that you're also shown the good in all the bad that there is, because it makes you aware that, for example, a science or an object aren't evil. What has the power to be evil is the intentions of the person or people wanting to use it. It's a really good argument, but for me it makes my head hurt because it's so hard to look at an idea like this in black and white, AND properly grasp it. This means it can end up being on of those things that sometimes it's easier to just not think about. The latter isn't a bad thing because for me, it just shows how good of an author Megan Shepherd is to tackle what I think is such a hard idea.

In my opinion, the characters where developed so much more in this book. I felt I got to know their thoughts and feelings better, but also came to realize things about them that I hadn't before. In The Madman's Daughter, Juliet's illness doesn't exactly take center stage, but in this book you really see how it affects her. For her, it's as if her illness is this mortal affliction and I guess it is because of the problems it causes. However, I think she starts to realize that Edward has it much worse than her and his 'illness' will consume him in a manner that for him is worse than death- which means you end up realizing that it's more like his mortal affliction. Basically, I feel that Juliet ends up understanding things so much more in this book, Edward being one of them.

Onto a lighter topic, I will warn you that Her Dark Curiosity has such a cliffhanger... I swear that all books with cliffhangers are basically a form of torture made out of paper and words. I'm really anticipating the next book now, so I can't wait to see what happens in the conclusion to the series.

To sum it all up, Her Dark Curiosity really made me think and as I mentioned above, it convinced me that Megan Shepherd is an author to look out for.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...