Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott | Weaving Pages: Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

Saturday, 28 December 2013

Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott


Hi Everyone!


I received this book from Harlequin Teen through Edelweiss. Thank you to them for letting me review this book! I instantly became gripped when I read this book, and I think you will too...
17258743
Title: Heartbeat
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: January 27th 2014
No. of Pages: 304

Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?



 5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.


My Thoughts:


I realise now that I shouldn't of read this book after I read If I Stay, because obviously that just screams EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER. Still. I did.

Anyway, this story is one of the saddest ones I've read. It was so heartwrenching but in a way it was beautiful and upsetting at the same time.. The story was very sad and complicated, especially for the Emma and the rest of her family, because it had created a divide between them. Still, I felt that this book had comparisons between two similar situations and the different reactions of different people, which for me, showed how different people are.

Like I said, this book was profoundly sad, and I found myself crying several times. However, in a strange way, it was also very gripping and I found myself wanting to keep on reading. In fact, I read this book so quickly I didn't even have the chance to put it's picture on the sidebar.
It was one of those book that was upsetting but you wouldn't spare yourself and instead had to keep on reading to discover the outcome..

I've talked about how Emma's situation created a divide between her family. Despite Emma becoming detached and refusing to have much contact with Dan, I understood how she felt. I know, that she probably should have talked to him, but I could see why see didn't. She was so angry and upset inside, and I could see that I would be angry too. I was on Emma's side when it came to the fact that she didn't get a say when the decision was made.

Like all sad stories, there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel, and for me, that was Emma and Caleb. They were such an unlikely pair, but in the end, I can't think of anyone who would be better for the other.. I think they understood each other perfectly, and it was so nice to finally see a bit of happiness for both of them. It was like they had finally found a bit of peace in each other..

There's often some detestable characters in books, and Heartbeat was no exception. I found myself hating Caleb's parents so much. They defintely weren't behaving like parents. I found that they had gotten some weird, warped account of the event stuck in their heads, and they couldn't look at Caleb and see that they still had a child to look after and love. They couldn't see that he was suffering too. I felt like they didn't realise that they were managing to lose another child again..

I would definitely recommend this book, and I hope you do read it when it comes out.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...