End of Year Book Survey 2013 | Weaving Pages: End of Year Book Survey 2013

Sunday, 29 December 2013

End of Year Book Survey 2013

best books 2013 end of year survey 
Hellooo Everyone!

So the awesome Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner has created an end of year book survey, which is basically what I'm filling out today. I hope you enjoy my scrambling through Goodreads to come up with answers to a question..

Best Books in 2013

1. Best book you read in 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre)
Contemporary- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This book just automatically became one of my favourite books ever and left me in tears. That doesn't mean it's not one of the most beautiful books I've read.
Action- Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson. I read this book this year, and with it I found one of my favourite authors ever. Thank goodness I read it!
Dystopian- Angelfall by Susan Ee. I can not describe how quickly I fell in love with this book and it's characters, and I am anticipating the 3rd book -which comes out next year- so much!

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn’t?


This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. Everyone seems to adore Sarah Dessen's books, but I ended up being the outcast when it came to this one. I thought I would love it so much, but it turned out that I didn't actually like it that much at all...

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 


Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. I didn't end up liking this book that much, but I learned so much from it. I actually got a really good mark in my end of year history essay thingy because of the information from The French Revolution that I had got from this book!!

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?


  The thing is, I don't tend to remember what book I tell people to read, but it's probably The Fault in Our Stars again. I can promise you that I will also continue recommending it in 2014... and 2015..

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?


Under the Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi. This series just gives me way too many feels and I LOVE IT SO BAD! When I read Through the Ever Night all those feels just resurfaced again and I can't wait to read Into the Still Blue.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?


Megan Shepherd. She's just such a good writer, and her Madman's Daughter series has convinced me that she's definitely a writer to watch out for.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

 You may know about my dislike for Vampires, but this year I decided to venture out there and try The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. I couldn't of made a better decision. It's one of my favourite books of the year and has convinced me to try and read books with Vampires in them instead of just slowly inching away..

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?


The Elites by Natasha Ngan. I adored this book, and I read it when I was on holiday. This meant it was basically carted backwards and forwards from the beach with me...but it was SO GOOD! What else was I meant to do?

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?


The thing is, I don't really tend to re-read books because my TBR pile is always growing so I don't really have the time. What I do do, is re-read my favourite passages of books. I'm gonna cheat a bit, because I read this book in 2012 but I'm most likely going to re-read The Hunger Games. I can never get enough of this series, and I always go back to it when I'm in need of an old favourite.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?


9415956
Sweetly by Jackson Pearce. This book has such an awesome cover, as do the rest of the books in the series. It's quite simply but it just works- which is what it so good about it!


11. Most memorable character in 2013? 


Harriet Manners from Geek Girl. Oh gosh, she's just one of my favourite characters ever! The situations she manages to get herself in are just so funny, and Harriet herself is extremely hilarious!

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?


The book that comes to mind is Golden by Jessi Kirby. This was such a beautiful book and it was the first book I reviewed for a publisher. I remember loving it when I read it back in March, so it's saying something that I remember it since it's been ages since I first read it!

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 


I think every book has some impact on me in some way, but I don't think I can ever pin point one. If I had to think of one, I would probably The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I can not described the impact this book had on me. I think it has to be one of favourite books because the message was so strong and in the end it was a beautiful but sad story which ended up teaching me so much about awful things such as segregation. I feel that it has helped me shape my own opinions on the subject and I'm so, so glad I read it.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 


Virals by Kathy Reichs. I picked this book up from the library, and I love this series! I can't believe I had never heard of this series, so it just goes to show how awesome libraries are!

 15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read In 2013?


I have so many quotes and passages that I love, but I'm terrible at keeping track at them- even though there are some that are permanently engrained in my mind. What I'm going to do after Xmas is keep a quotes book, but for now, here is a passage from The Fault in Our Stars that I love!

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like betrayal”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars 

16.Shortest & longest book you read In 2013?


Shortest - Rendezvous in Russia by Lauren St John, which is 192 pages long.
Longest - The Host by Stephanie Meyer, which is 619 pages long.

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? 


Allegiant by Veronica Roth. He..he..he...That ending was like pain in book form because IT WAS SO SAD AND I COULDN'T SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS.

18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc):


I really like Kat and Hale's relationship in Heist Society by Ally Carter. They are best friends and also complete and utter sweethearts! They are perfect for each other which means that Perfect Scoundrels was extremely pleasing for many fans like moi..!

19. Favorite book you read in 2013 from an author you’ve read previously:


The One Dollar Horse by Lauren St John. I adore her books and I've read all of them! The One Dollar Horse is as good as all her other books, so it made me an extremely happy bunny.

20. Best book you read in 2013 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else:


I'm an extremely hard person to book push...hehe! Some of the books I've read have been because other bloggers have raved about them, but I don't exactly have any that someone told me I had to read! I do have a few I will read though, so I'm going to cheat. Those books are Fire by Heather James and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

21. Genre you read the most from in 2013?


From looking at Goodreads I'd say probably Dystopian/Post-apocalyptic or Fantasy/adventure books. Yeah... that probably encompasses a whole load of books but...

22. Best 2013 debut you read?


The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd.

23. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?


The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I loved the fey world and there were some really great creatures which aided me in having a extremely vivid image of that world in my head.

24. Book that was the most fun to read in 2013?


You Wish by Mandy Hubbard. Seriously, this book is so good and will make you laugh! The things that happen are ridiculous (pink ponies anyone?) which is what makes it so good!

25. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2013?


Since I've mentioned The Fault in Our Stars and Allegiant, I'm going to say If I Stay by Gayle Forman.. It's SO SAD people, and the car crash is absolutely terrifying too..

26. Book you read in 2013 that you think got overlooked this year or when it came out?

  The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. Many people have read this book, but I think it's a shame that it doesn't have a UK publisher.. I want loads more people to read it, because I really enjoyed it!

 

Book Blogging/ Reading Life of 2013

 1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 

Ooh! Well.. I started blogging this year, so I discovered a whole host of blogs.. I've been really busy lately so I have to catch up with all the posts on bloglovin'... but my favourite, new blog? ALL THE BLOGS.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 


I'm the sort of person that my favourite reviews are those of my favourite books.. The ones I'm most proud of are my Letters From a Reader which I only do for books that really move me.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?


Oh, hands down this one. If you're interested, my sister basically owned me in terms of morals and the right thing to do..


4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?


*screams at herself* ORGANIZATION. I have the memory of a goldfish, but I really like Sophie's discussions. They bring up really good points and I enjoy participating in them when I can.

5. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?


Uhh... So many things have happened this year: I started this blog, made loads of blogging friends, started getting ARCs from publishers, and so much more. The main for me is that with this blog, I found something that I really love doing, and that I wouldn't stop doing for the world.

7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)?


It was this Q&A I did with Sarah Alderson. It was such an amazing opportunity, and I'm so glad I got to do a Q&A with her!! *fangirls*

8. Post you wished got a little more love?


The Book Boyfriends VS Boy Bands discussion I did with Amber. I had so much fun doing it, but I would like to maybe have had some more comments to know what others thought of it!

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?


I found that you could get personalized stamps for books! I'm getting one for Xmas and it has my name on, which means that instead of writing my name in a book, I can now just stamp it! I'll put a picture on here when I get it.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Uh, nope. I partook in a debut-a-thon but no challenges unfortunately!! 

Looking Ahead to 2014..

 

1. One book you didn’t get to in 2013 but will be your number 1 priority in 2014?


I tried to start reading A Tale of Two Cities, but I ended up getting distracted by other books... I really want to read it though, so I'll try an make sure I do next year.
2. Book you are most anticipating for 2014 (non-debut)?
Probably Cristin Terrill's new book: The sequel to All Our Yesterdays. I'm itching to find out what happens!

3. 2014 debut you are most anticipating?

 Vivian Divine is Dead by Lauren Sabel. I've got a review copy of this, but I'm so eager to see what happens! It hope it's as good as it seems- if not better!


4. Series ending you are most anticipating in 2014?


Possibly, City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. I can't wait to read it and find out what happens but I'm also really scared..

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2014? 

To keep on blogging as much as possible and get involved with so much more stuff! I also want to try and meet more authors when I have the opportunity!

 

Thanks for reading this!! 

 Bye! xx

  



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...