Unbreathable by Hafsah Laziaf | Weaving Pages: Unbreathable by Hafsah Laziaf

Friday, 22 November 2013

Unbreathable by Hafsah Laziaf

Hello Everyone!

The author, Hafsah Laziaf, sent me this book for review because I had honestly been looking forward to when it would be published! Thank you very much Hafsah, for sending me this for review!
 
Title: Unbreathable
Author: Hafsah Laziaf
Series: Unbreathable #1
Source: Author
Publisher: Hybrid Fiction
Published: October 29th 2013
No. of Pages: 379


 One hundred and fifty years ago, Earth was destroyed, and the remaining humans fled to the dusty red planet of Jutaire, where the only oxygen is manufactured, food is scarce, and death strikes often.

When Lissa's father discovers Earth still exists, she accidentally inhales the toxic air of Jutaire, and in one breath, discovers she isn't quite human.

Her father hangs for his discovery, and Lissa knows the Chancellors will come for her, for she saw the Earth that night too. With nothing to lose, she sets out to expose the truth. It isn't long before she meets Julian, a beautiful boy who can breathe the toxic air like she can - and shows her that the Jute, the original inhabitants of the planet, are more tangled in their lives than she knows... (rest of synopsis here.)


 3.5 stars: Page thinks this book was good, but didn't
make him fly.


I honestly think that I had quite high expectations for this book, probably because I had heard quite a lot of good things about it on Twitter, and because of that, I just knew I had to read it. However, after reading it, I'm not sure Unbreathable lived up to my expectations.

The part of the book that brought it down for me had to be the beginning. When I started reading, almost straight away I felt that the book was going to fast for my liking. I felt like I wasn't getting enough time to be introduced to Lisa, and to know what was actually going on before I was being whisked away to some other event. As a result of this, I didn't get a chance to take things in and process them, so when a month had passed in the book, I got the feeling that it had barely been two days.

Thinking about this now, I feel that there should have been more time spent on each event in so that I would get the opportunity to get to know the world and characters better. There were some key events that I feel should have had more time spent on them, but I understand that so as to not make the book too long it might have been necessary to spend more time on the later events than on the ones in the beginning.

Now I get to talk about the good parts and what I really liked. Personally, I think that the second half of the book was much better than the first. This is partly because, I got to take in the events and what was happening but also because I just generally found myself to be more interested in the events.

Also, because of the information you get as you read on, I got more interested in the actual genre of the book, which is another reason I wanted to read Unbreathable. When I read books that have aliens in them, it's usually one of my favourite parts of the book because when I think of aliens, I always think of tiny green men, so I really like it when an author takes that idea and expands it into something much better!

Going back to the idea that the second half of the book was better, my other reason for this was that Lissa definitely developed more as a person. She became a braver, more understanding person who was willing to make sacrifices for people she barely knows. I really like end Lissa a lot more than when we meet her in the beginning.

Overall, I really enjoyed Unbreathable and I would recommend it to those people who enjoy sci-fi books and don't mind getting right to the point!

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...