The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black | Weaving Pages: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Sunday, 24 November 2013

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black

Hi Everyone!

I received this book from the publisher, Indigo, so thank you to them for sending it to me! Now, I would never normally read a vampire book but I have to point out....THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME... ASDFGHJKL 

Title: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Author: Holly Black
Series: N/A *cries*
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Indigo
Published: September 3rd 2013
No. of Pages: 419


Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. It's an eternal party, shown on TV 24 hours a day - gorgeous, glamorous, deadly! Because, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave...A wholly original story of rage and revenge, love and loathing from bestselling author, Holly Black. Fans of True Blood will love this dark and sexy tale.
- (Goodreads)
5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.

This is a first. I never, ever thought that I would like a book with Vampires in it. I sort of blame Twilight, but it's also a bit of prejudice on my part for not trying any other books apart from the aforementioned culprit. 

Anyway, I was really interested by the plot line, and I thought I'd give it a try. AMAZING LIFE DECISION. This book was perfect. I can't think of anything that could make it better, and I sort of just really want to hug Holly Black for making me like Vampires.. Go and thank her, people.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a very dark, mysterious book and I loved how chilling it could be. Before I started blogging, I tended to shy away from gothic books but this book is an example of how much I'm reading and enjoying them now. Gothic books have definitely become some of my favourites. The dark tone of the story fits it perfectly and though the book is quite gory too, what can I say? Gory bits are unavoidable and if you took them away, this book would not be the same!

This book is very different to the traditional Vampire books, and perhaps that's why I loved it so much. The idea of vampires being celebrities and having people actually want to become these creatures, was so realistic because it introduced the romantic image many people have of Vampires. People can even get their teeth shaped like a vampire's so, in a way, I wasn't surprised when Holly Black introduced the idea of people going to these Coldtowns purposely to become Vampires, or to just be with them. Still, I had never considered that this could be a possible storyline but now that I've read this book, it is definitely one of my favourite ideas.

I really like Tana as a main character. She wasn't perfect, and quite unruly in a way, but she was determined and gutsy which made her the perfect heroine. Plus, she had a whole list of good and bad qualities which made her so realistic. I also adored her relationship with Gavriel, which brings me to this: I SHIP GAVRIEL AND TANA SO BAD. Shipping a Vampire and a Human was on my list of things-I-will-never-do but these two are one of my OTPs... I really need a list, don't I?

Someone I need to talk about briefly is Aidan. Why? Just because I continuously found myself wanting to slap him silly. Anyone familiarly with the feeling? He may have redeemed himself slightly by the end of the book, but...

Overall, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was a Dark, Gothic read that introduced a different take on the romantic way society generally sees Vampires today.

Bye! xx


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...