Letter from a Reader: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Weaving Pages: Letter from a Reader: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Sunday, 13 October 2013

Letter from a Reader: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Hello Everyone!

So I've done it. I've read The Fault in Our Stars, and in turn, it has ruined my life. I blame you.

Title: The Fault in Our Stars 
Author: John Green
Series: N/A
Source: Bought
Publisher: Dutton Books
Published: January 10th 2012 

No. of Pages: 313


Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.



 5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.


Dear TFIOS,

What is there to say about you? Are there enough characters in the alphabet, enough numbers in the world to describe something I can only say is infinite? Maybe there are. You are beautiful, incredible, heart-breaking but mind-opening. I admire you. It takes great skill to cause all those emotions in one person. But it's not just one, is it?

I've never cried so much at a book, as I did when I read you. We all say we cry at a book that really got us. That's not necessarily true. Maybe our eyes watered, or a single tear escaped. But I think no one is prepared for the multitude of tears that come when reading you. No one is prepared for the ugly crying and the blotchy, red faces. No one expects the hysterical sobs that come from just talking about the book. They are infinite.

 I find so much hope in Hazel and Augustus. They are fighters, believers, human and scared. They know better than any of us what pain and fear is. Yet, they are stronger than some of us. They show me that we can't live in fear. We have to hope and smile and love each day, no matter what is happening. I know that I'll always be thinking of Hazel and Gus.

I am often baffled, whilst reading you, TFIOS, by how funny and sad you can be, at the same time. It seems like something is not right. Like I should not be laughing and crying at the same time. Those two feelings shouldn't mix. Yet they do.

I can only hope for Hazel. I can only hope for Gus. I knew what was coming. I think we all suspected. I think we all denied it. I did. It seemed impossible- like something had gone terribly wrong. Like the roller-coaster had crashed. I have never hated a saying more than "What goes up, must come down." I no longer believe it. Instead, I believe that one day, we must all defy gravity, at least once.

My dear Augustus. Thank You. Oblivion can no longer be a fear of yours. Keep on being grand. Keep on riding the roller-coaster that only goes up, my friend. You still are.
My dear Hazel Grace. Thank You. Let your lungs suck at being lungs, but don't let yourself suck at being you. You're Okay. Okay?

There are always faults in the universe. Always stars we can't fathom into constellations. But somehow we must. Do I believe it is possible?

I do, TFIOS.
I do.

Love,


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...