Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder | Weaving Pages: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Thursday, 5 September 2013

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Hello Everyone!

This is a book I got when I really shouldn't have been buying books...Still, I had heard good things and it turned out to be quite an enjoyable read!


Title: Poison Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Series: Study #1
Source: Publisher (Edelweiss)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: January 27th 2014
No. of Pages: 304

Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...


4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
however, it was not catapulted into amazing.

Overall, I really liked this book. However, the romance was....yeahhh..

The first thing I have to say about this book, is that I loved the storyline. I thought that it was very original and I had never really read a book that had this sort of plot. I think that this was one of the reasons that kept me reading and made me interested in the book. I had heard good things about this book, and the storyline definitely lived up to the things I heard.

I also felt that there was plenty going on with the story. There was always a few twist and turns, especially with the characters. There was always something happening in terms of loyalties and friendships and I sometimes found myself wondering whether a certain character was to be trusted or not.

Onto characters and romance. I didn't like the romance. It just wasn't for me... Yes, I do ship Yelena and Valek, but then again, there isn't really anyone who is better than Valek and who I would want to ship Yelena with.. 
Still, what I didn't like about the romance was that I felt that there wasn't really a build up to it. I mean, yes, Valek did seem to like Yelena more than the other food tasters and Yelena did like him, but then we get to the "mortal danger" part, and it was like a bomb. 
 “But you've slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.” ― Maria V. SnyderPoison Study
It's a bit like: "Okay....When did this happen?" So, yep. It's a big "I LOVE YOU" bomb. Also, I have to point out that there is a 14 year age gap between Yelena and Valek. She's 19 and he's 33..I know that to other people it might seem completely normal, and I have nothing against it but it just felt weird... Still, meh. I can cope.

I defintely felt sorry for Yelena throughout the book. She had been through such horrible events and I hated the people who had done those things to her. I remember in the book, one line stayed in my head:

"I scrubbed two more times, rubbing hard at the stubborn spots of dirt on my skin, stopping only  when I realized they were bruises."― Maria V. SnyderPoison Study
I think that's a good example of the hardships Yelena went through. I think all off this just fueled my hate for General Brazel even more. I spent the whole book wishing he was dead. Reyad, his son, completely deserved his fate.

Overall, I would recommend this book as I really enjoyed it, despite the romance not being my thing!

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...