The Elites by Natasha Ngan | Weaving Pages: The Elites by Natasha Ngan

Saturday, 10 August 2013

The Elites by Natasha Ngan

Hello Everyone!

I received this book for review from Hot Key Books, so thank you to them for letting me review it! As always, this in no way affects my review, and it's rating is down to the pure awesomeness of the book.


Title: The Elites
Author: Natasha Ngan
Series: N/A
Source: Publisher
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Release Date: September 5th 2013
No. of Pages: 368

‘There is a rumour that the Elites don’t bleed.’

Hundreds of years into the future, wars, riots, resource crises and rising sea-levels have destroyed the old civilisations. Only one city has survived: Neo-Babel, a city full of cultures – and racial tension. 

Fifteen-year-old Silver is an Elite, a citizen of Neo-Babel chosen to guard the city due to her superior DNA. She’d never dream of leaving – but then she fails to prevent the assassination of Neo Babel’s president, setting off a chain of events more shocking and devastating than she could ever have imagined. Forced to flee the city with her best friend Butterfly (a boy with genetically-enhanced wings), Silver will have to fight to find her family, uncover the truth about Neo-Babel and come to terms with her complicated feelings for Butterfly. (-Goodreads)

5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.
My Thoughts:

Hmm...turning my thoughts and feels into a coherent review is going to be hard...because if you follow me on Goodreads, you'll see that my updates consisted of the word "FEELS".

I absolutely loved the world in The Elites. I loved how it had so many different cultures together in one city but there was still a form of racism. I felt that this made Neo-Babel very realistic because the world is currently like that. I also loved seeing how all these different cultures were described, and comparing them to the cultures we have now.

I also loved the fact that the government was different compared to other dystopian books where the government is obviously oppresive. I thought that the government in The Elites was more veiled. Like bad things were going on but the public was otherwise oblivious to it.

I have noticed, like many other bloggers, that family is not often touched upon in YA. The Elites definitely had family as one of the prominent themes and I adored that. I think that it's something crucial that is sometimes missing from YA books. It was definitely the family element that made me cry at the end of the book. Lets bear in mind that I was also in public at the time...

As the book progressed, there was some great character development. Silver and Butterfly, developed so much as people and I loved seeing that happen. I think they both came to realise things they hadn't before and it was great seeing them come to those conclusions.

Now, this is where the Caps Lock comes in....BUTTERFLY IS NOW ON MY LIST OF BOOK BOYFRIENDS. HANDS. OFF. I've already had an argument over Butterfly on Twitter (which is completely understandable.) I also agreed with the fact that he was different to all the other YA love interests. Butterfly isn't necessarily described as being gorgeous (though in my mind he totally is!) but instead, he is more of a kind, understanding, family person who you can't help but love. 

I think him and Silver make an adorable couple! Also, Silver was a great protagonist who's POV I really enjoyed reading from. I felt that she was a great heroine who, liked I mentioned, really grew as a person.

Despite loving many of the characters, I developed a deep hatred for Ember. The things she did were awful, but you also had to pity her. Still, I couldn't forgive her for what she did, and completely understood why Silver disliked and feared her.

To conclude this review, where I managed to restrain myself from writing completely in Caps Lock,  I have to say that Natasha Ngan comes up with the awesomest character names. EVER. I can't wait to read the next book and I'm super excited for it already!

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...