Letter From a Reader: If I Stay by Gayle Forman | Weaving Pages: Letter From a Reader: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Letter From a Reader: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Hello Everyone!

I decided to do a review that is different to all my other ones. You'll see.


 Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Series: If I Stay #1
Published: April 2nd 2009
No. of Pages: 201

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

 (-Goodreads)


4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.

Dear If I Stay,

You are the first book I've read by Gayle Forman. It was a good choice. I picked you up, and started reading. A day later, I was finished. I was captured by your words. They refused to let go of me, and they still wander around my mind. They make me think. They tell me not to take things for granted. They make me thankful.

At the beginning, I was fooled by your easy banter. A promise of good things to come. One that told of perfect lives, and of a perfect story. One that would make me smile, and cry tears of joy. Not ones of sadness. It seems like you were crossing your fingers behind your back when you promised.

Soon, I had forgotten everything. All I knew was the horrifying crash. The crumpled metal, and crimson tears. All I knew was the isolation of the one girl. It scared me. It showed that everything can change in a second. Sometimes for the better, other times for the worst. Now, I wish I had savoured that easy banter.

I cried. I'm not ashamed. I cried in public. At the beach. At 5 o'clock. I let the tears fall from my eyes. I let them blur my vision. I let myself cry. Your words did that, If I Stay. You put so much emotion, so much feeling into each character. Into each word, sentence and paragraph, that my only choice was to cry. It was an easy one. Mia's choice, not so much.

I cried when Mia's Grandpa came. For me, he was the strongest character in the book. The few pages where he spoke made me so proud of him. I still am. 

I read those flash-backs and I treasured them. I held onto them, like little pieces of light in the dark. They were hope. But they were the past. The future wasn't the same.

I was unsure of your ending, If I Stay. I thought that it would make me cry even more than I already had. I had already cried for Mia. For her Mum. Her Dad. For Teddy. For everyone. I didn't want to cry anymore. 

Thank You, If I Stay. You have told many people to treasure each second. Hopefully, they will.

Love, Rita.


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...