The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey | Weaving Pages: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Thursday, 4 July 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

Hi Everyone!

As you may know, I've been very busy with everything that's been going on as well as Amber's Debut-a-Thon. Anyway, I finished reading The 5th Wave last week but have only had time to review it now..Enjoy!

 Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The Fifth Wave #1
Published: May 7th 2013
No. of Pages: 457

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up. (-Goodreads)



5 stars: Page the bird salutes this book, and starts
 flying with joy.



My Thoughts:

I'm feeling so lucky at the moment because ALL the books I've read have been 4-5 stars! The 5th Wave was no exception. I'm so happy I picked this book up because it was brilliant! I even had a rant on Twitter with Zoe, BEFORE I finished it!

The first thing that struck me whilst reading this book was the writing. It was full of depth and I just considered it wonderful straight away. It was definitely something that stayed with me throughout the whole of the book. The way that Yancey wrote made it so easy to know how Cassie felt. You understood her feelings and actions entirely and this just made it so easy to like Cassie. The same went for all the other characters.

I need to point something out. This book was just so sad at times. I spent the whole of chapter eleven bawling, because it was so upsetting and heart-breaking... The book just made me hate all the aliens, because it was their fault that families were being ripped apart and that people were dying..

I tend to be quite sceptical about books that have POV changes because, if not done right, it can get confusing and annoying for the reader. However, the POV changes in The 5th Wave worked perfectly because, at first, I just wanted to get back to Cassie's point of view, but soon enough, reading from (for example) Ben's point of view became interesting, and I became engrossed straight away.

Something else that I noticed when I was reading, was that every single chapter ended in a really interesting way. For example, the end sentence always made you think or want to know more. For some reason, I really love books that do this!

Let's talk about plot twists. This book had some AWESOME ones. I don't want to give anything away, but there was one plot twist that was an OH MY GOSH moment as well as a BETRAYAL moment. The best bit was that I suspected this plot twist, but wasn't sure so when I discovered what was, it was great to find out what was going on.

Cassie was AWESOME. Like the plot twists. She was a survivor, and I could just tell that she was going to be one of those kick-ass heroines that I love. That was just what she proved to be. One of my favourite things about Cassie, was her relationship with Sammy, her brother. They had such a great relationship and you could just see how much they cared for each other. 

Sammy was probably my favourite character of the whole book. He managed to have great reltionships with every character in the book, including Ben who changed so much from his "boy next door" personality. Ben and Sammy developed a very sweet relationship andit became one of the reasons why I loved Ben so much.

This book has become one of those "I can't choose a side" sort of books. What am I supposed to do when I like BEN AND EVAN. They are both lovely. Evan is so sweet and I completely love him, whilst Ben has this amazing relationship with Sammy..! This caused this reaction on Goodreads:
I HAVE STRONG FEELINGS.

Overall, I definitely recommend this book to everyone, unless you don't like dystopian books, of course!

Bye! xx





rita xo

1 comment:

  1. Wow I can tell you enjoyed this and I'm really glad you did because I recieved it today! It has been on my list for ages because the hype is so strong. Lovely Blog Rita, I look forward to being a regular visitor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...