Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard | Weaving Pages: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Thursday, 11 July 2013

Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard

Hi Everyone!

This book was part of my Sweet Six for April, May and June. The reason it was on my TBR was because it is a well known book. It even has a TV show! Of course, I dived into the book expecting something amazing and I got...Well..you'll see..

 Title: Pretty Little Liars
Author: Sara Shepard
Series: Pretty Little Liars #1
Published: October 1st 2006
No. of Pages: 286

Three years ago, Alison disappeared after a slumber party, not to be seen since. Her friends at the elite Pennsylvania school mourned her, but they also breathed secret sighs of relief. Each of them guarded a secret that only Alison had known. Now they have other dirty little secrets, secrets that could sink them in their gossip-hungry world. When each of them begins receiving anonymous emails and text messages, panic sets in. Are they being betrayed by some one in their circle? Worse yet: Is Alison back? A strong launch for a suspenseful series.


 2 stars: Page shakes his head. He was unsatisfied
with this story.
 
My Thoughts:
 
I was expecting to LOVE this book. I thought that I would be giving it 5 stars as well as raving about it on twitter and then rushing through all the other books in the series. I mean, IT HAS BEEN MADE INTO A TV SERIES. It has to be good for that to happen
Let's just say that the outcome was very different...
 
 I'll start off with the good things. The A thing was intriguing. I was really curious about who A was because I'm a sucker for all things mystery. It was honestly something I was interested to find out about, which made it a great storyline. I also loved all the secrets. I can now quote "Three can keep a secret if two are dead" and "Never trust a pretty girl with an ugly secret" off by heart. I wanted to find out all about the Jenna thing and everything else all the girls had done because to be honest, gossip column writers would be out of the job if those secrets got out. Then, everything went downhill...
 
I really can't put this any other way. I really hated all the other characters. It was to the point where every single character annoyed me and I couldn't find anything in any of them that actually made me like them.


 I didn't like Spencer. I didn't like Aria. Or Hanna. Or Emily. I'll be honest and say that sometimes, a character didn't do anything to make me dislike them, but somehow they unconsciously annoyed me. I'll say that Emily and Aria were probably the best characters of the bunch. They managed to actually have, some morals and a nicer personality then most. Then again, they didn't have much competition. Hanna and Spencer I just couldn't like. I barely had to read a couple of paragraphs on them before knowing that I wouldn't like them. It was probably down to their actions..


Then there was Alison. I could not see why they liked Alison. The book only has her in it at the beginning, before she goes missing, but I managed to hate her straight away. I also couldn't see why the girls did everything Alison told them to. Why they wanted to be bossed around, made to do stupid things, is beyond me. I realise that they were under pressure to make her happy, but couldn't they stand up to her for once?

I think that if the characters hadn't ruined the book, I would have really liked it, so it was a pity that they turned out to be very unlikable. However, I can see that Sara Shepard had to make these characters like that, because a bunch of nice girls probably wouldn't have that many dark secrets (then again...). Despite being able to see this, it can't make me want to keep reading so I probably won't be returning to this series...

Bye! xx
 


rita xo

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember much of this book but I do know that, like you, I really didn't like the characters. I got the first book for my birthday and I quite liked it but I just wasn't interested in continuing the series. And I'm glad I didn't because there's like a billion books right now. I did REALLY like the TV show. The characters are so much more likable there (Aria is my fave) and the first three seasons are definitely worth watching. I stopped after that because it became too much of the same, but it's definitely good :) Too bad you didn't like this book, but I can really understand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...