This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen | Weaving Pages: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Thursday, 13 June 2013

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Hello Everyone!

I realise that once people read this review I will probably become an outcast in the bookish society. Why?? I didn't particularly like a Sarah Dessen book, and yes, it was my first one. When twitter found this out I was nearly made to go hide in a hole, but Amy was nice and let me off :)

Title: This Lullaby
Author: Sarah Dessen
Published: March 8th 2004
No. of Pages: 345

When it comes to relationships, Remy doesn't mess around. After all, she's learned all there is to know from her mother, who's currently working on husband number five. But there's something about Dexter that seems to defy all of Remy's rules. He certainly doesn't seem like Mr. Right. For some reason, however, Remy just can't seem to shake him. Could it be that Remy's starting to understand what those love songs are all about?




                                      3 stars: Page tweets once, he didn't have strong
                                      feelings for this book. It was just ok.

 My Thoughts:

I really wanted to like this book, honestly. I mean every bookish place you go, Sarah Dessen's books are talked about like crazy. EVERYONE loves them. So here I am, feeling slightly awkward because I'm the one who didn't necessarily like it and did think to stop reading a few times. 

There were aspects of the books that I liked, and characters that made me laugh. So yes, I can honestly say that some of the occurrences definitely made me laugh out loud and earn strange looks from people, but then, I can also say that I found myself complaining about certain aspects of the book as well.
I did like how the book explored love and what it should and shouldn't be. Love, after all, is the whole theme of the book, and it is the subject that is in question throughout it.
Despite Remy's mother having married LOTS of times, she was still positive on love, so Remy really annoyed me when she was talking about her views.

This brings us to Remy. Remy just really annoyed me and I didn't like her at all. She was always saying how all her relationships were never going to last and that she wanted to leave for university with a clean slate. Frankly, this just annoyed me. Just because your mother has had lots of failed marriages, doesn't mean you can give up on relationships or have dozens of them. Honestly, Remy is like the girl who has gone through all the boys in school. It started feeling like she was sort of doing it on purpose and that she just used guys as a chance to say I've tried having a relationship but it hasn't worked, when actually, she wasn't trying at all. I started zoning out after a while..
Since we are on the subject of characters, there was one I actually liked, Dexter. Dexter was hilarious and was an extremely fun person to read about. He always had something to say, and it was always said in a slightly "I'm off my rocker" sort of way, which I really enjoyed. Dexter was like the light in the dark that was Remy, but obviously, Remy was to blind to see that, so they break up and she goes off with some guy named Paul. Since Dexter was obviously awesome, I was disappointed by her choice and it just made me question Remy's sense of judgement.

One thing that I particularly enjoyed was how Sarah Dessen included bits of Remy's mother's novel in the book. The story actually had a lot of impact on how the novel's story went, so it was nice to see it shape out along with the actual story.

So there it is. My opinion of This Lullaby, complete with GIFs and whatever else popped into my head.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...