Legend by Marie Lu | Weaving Pages: Legend by Marie Lu

Sunday, 9 June 2013

Legend by Marie Lu

Hello Everyone!

I'll be honest an say that I was expecting Legend to be an amazing book, but I think I'm slightly disappointed because I didn't feel that it was. Still, I liked it and I will be continuing the series.

 Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend #1
Published: November 29th 2011
No. of Pages: 320

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

                                      3.5 stars: Page thinks this book was good, but didn't
                                      make him fly.
  

 
My Thoughts:

 I did like this book, but whilst reading this the same thing kept running through my mind: I wasn't quite sure what all the fuss is about..

I did love the storyline. It is basically a dystopian world where you really see the differences between the classes. You have the rich military who work for the government, and then you have the poor who are always getting ill off the plague. June was from the military background and then Day was a common thief who was trying to get money for his family.

My thoughts about the storyline come mainly from the uniqueness of what the republic are trying to do. I can't say what since it would give the whole story away, but I definitely did not expect it to happen, so that made the story much better for me. I also loved the fact that unlike most dystopian books, there was a sense of naivety from those employed by the government and by the general public. This was because the government didn't do anything (that I can remember) that definitely showed you that there was something wrong with everything, it was all so secretive, that no one knew and they actually thought that the government was doing good. It definitely made you hate everyone more..

Just to get it over and done with, this is what I didn't like: The Romance.
The romance didn't feel real at all. It was so no unbelievable. At that moment, June is hunting down Day and after getting into a fight, she is looked after by a boy who she doesn't know is Day. After about two days, they kiss. This calls for a GIF.
 You do not kiss someone, no matter how attractive they are, after knowing them for two days, even if you are on the streets. This does not happens, unless you are drunk, and have not just been sipping from a bottle of sweet wine, this doesn't happen. It felt so unrealistic and it made me sad Rita. I honestly couldn't believe how unrealistic it was, and it even took place before I was even halfway into the books, so my expectations for the romance weren't/aren't very high..

One thing I did love was how much families were important in this book. Firstly, Day is trying to get money so his family can get plague cures. That is the whole reason that he is stealing things. Well, that and the fact that he is supposed to be dead.. Day also cares so much for his family, and his brothers and it is so sad to see him wish that he could be with them.
Then, June's brother is killed and June spends quite a lot of time grieving him. I loved this because many times, when an important character is killed off, I feel that those that are close to them don't grieve realistically. They sort of just cry a bit then move on, and we don't hear a word about that character ever again. However, you could see that June genuinely missed Metias, which made her a much more believable and relatable character.

Another thing that I have to point out is that June is utterly kick-ass. If you want a kick-ass heroine, you've got one right here because she manages to be completely awesome! Also, she got full marks on this test and is technically a prodigy... so I rest my case.

There was a character that I spent the rest of the book wanting to kill after finding out what he did: Thomas, Metias' best friend. He did something so awful that I simply wanted to kill him off, or at least witness June give him a few good punches so that he would never be able to look in the mirror again..
Unfortunately, this didn't happen.

Overall, I think that this was good book, and would recommend it to anyone who likes Dystopian novels.

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...