Icons by Margaret Stohl | Weaving Pages: Icons by Margaret Stohl

Friday, 21 June 2013

Icons by Margaret Stohl

Hi Everyone!

I finished Icons this week, on Tuesday, to be accurate, but I had a sudden burst of procrastination and I didn't write it when I was supposed to. My twitter feed proves that..

Title: Icons
Author: Margaret Stohl
Series: Icons #1
Published: May 7th 2013
No. of Pages: 428

 Your heart beats only with their permission.

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid.

She's different. She survived. Why?

When Dol and her best friend, Ro, are captured and taken to the Embassy, off the coast of the sprawling metropolis once known as the City of Angels, they find only more questions. While Ro and fellow hostage Tima rage against their captors, Dol finds herself drawn to Lucas, the Ambassador's privileged son. But the four teens are more alike than they might think, and the timing of their meeting isn't a coincidence. It's a conspiracy.

Within the Icon's reach, Dol, Ro, Tima, and Lucas discover that their uncontrollable emotions -- which they've always thought to be their greatest weaknesses -- may actually be their greatest strengths. (-Goodreads)



4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful, almost
amazing.

 My Thoughts:
The first thing I heard about this book was on Twitter. I instantly knew that I needed to read this book and, along with Goddess, I bought it from Waterstones, and then spent my time looking at twitter and waiting for both books to arrive.
I absolutely love this storyline. It has so much potential and it is such a great idea and I have to give credit to Margaret Stohl for coming up with it. 

What I felt was that this storyline isn't something you see everyday, because technically, the Icons are in fact aliens. Aliens in a book can be something that wouldn't make me touch that book with a 10 foot pole. Instantly, I picture little green men and I just think that the story isn't going to be at all that great. However, with Icons, from the beginning I wanted to know more, as there was always an air of mystery surrounding these 'aliens'.

There was a small detail incorporated into the books as well that I just loved. Descriptions of the different types of Icon Children and propaganda from rebel forces was included after each chapter, and there were even autopsy reports. These had descriptions frighteningly similar to some characters and I still haven't figured out what they were about!

Despite loving the storyline, I felt that I started to get bored in the middle of the book and this is why I couldn't give it five stars. I was starting to get bored to the point that I was scrutinizing each and every action. I simply thought that the information they found out could be found in a quicker, more interesting way than the one used. Basically, it could have been more fast-paced.

Now the characters. I can actually say that I like Dol, not adore her as she isn't particulary kick-ass, but for some reason that I can't pin point, I really liked her. Maybe, it was because she was quite humble, not like your typical headstrong heroine, and that the way she felt about some deaths that occurred was never forgotten, it is something that kept being touched upon. I felt that this made it feel more real.

I also liked the relationships that Dol had with people. She and Ro had a wonderful friendship, you could see that they really trusted and cared for each other. But I like it just like that. A friendship, no more. It might be because of Lucas...
Hear me: I SHIP DOL AND LUCAS. I love them together so much!! Personally, I think that Ro and Tima suit each other so they can back off! I waited the whole book for something to happen between Lucas and Dol. Obviously, this wasn't the reason I read it but it was a part of the story I couldn't forget. Lets just say that I was happy towards the end..

Since I felt bored whilst reading part of the book, I was upset because I had higher expectations for the book, but then, they were met. Margaret Stohl managed to save EVERYTHING with the ending, I just absolutely loved it!! It was the best part of the story (not in a bad way) because so much happened and I was definitely not bored!

I have a feeling that book 2 will be even better, and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Bye! xx



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...