Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan | Weaving Pages: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Thursday, 16 May 2013

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Hello Everyone!

I've finished Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan, and for some reason, even though I really liked it, I felt that it took me a long time to finish, I don't know why since it was average sized. Maybe I was just being slow? 

Title: Unspoken
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Series: The Lynburn Legacy #1
Published: September 11th 2012
No. of Pages: 373

Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.

But all that changes when the Lynburns return.

The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?




                                         4 stars: Page decides that this book was very enjoyable
                                         however, it was not catapulted into amazing.
My Thoughts:

This book is sort of magic based but don't go hoping for Harry Potter. However, this book did make me laugh so much. I couldn't help but crack up at random moments. One of these moments was actually during the first page, and it consisted of someone telling Kami to "Respect the sheep, young lady." That is one of the best sentences ever, and I'm very tempted to try and use it myself. 

Like always, we'll start with the storyline:
Kami has never been alone. Well, she has, but all the time she has had someone she could speak to in her head, a boy named Jared, but of course she never thought he was real.
Then she decides to write an article on the secrets of Sorry-in-the-Vale, but for some reason, no one ever wants to speak about the Lynburns.
So Kami does what her reporter instincts tell her to: she starts investigating, which becomes even easier when the Lynburns come back to town. She meets Ash, one of the Lynburns. A gorgeous, golden haired boy who seems to have an interest in the paper, or Kami. However, it all goes down hill when she meets his cousin, Jared. He could just be a coincidence that he has the same name as her imaginary friend, but soon she discovers that this friend is very real. So real, in fact that he is standing right next to her.
Kami and Jared find it hard to adjust to the fact that they are both real, because they have only ever been a voice in their head to either of them, someone they could talk to and confide in without ever having to meet, and now the opposite is true.
Soon, these differences have to be put aside, when strange happenings occur. First, Kami finds that animals are being killed, and only to make it worse, she finds a house with a dead fox inside. Then it starts to get worse, Kami's friend Holly is attacked and then Kami's ex best friend is found dead. Kami does what she does best and she investigates.
Jared and Kami see the Lynburns dancing in the rain and she knows something about them isn't right. But the truth is more than she could have hoped for, because the Lynburns are sorcerers, and there is a bigger truth behind Jared and Kami's connection.

My first feelings towards Kami was that I loved her curiosity, and stubbornness. These are not the best traits, but I love seeing them in a character, because of the fact that I see them a lot in myself. This meant that I loved Kami's reaction to whatever situation she was in except at the ending where I felt that she gave in whilst in a situation a naturally strong heroine would have found a way not to. Despite this little hiccup, I still think that Kami was a very strong friend and heroine.
Since I've mentioned friends, I shall introduce you to Holly and Angela. I felt that Angela basically just hates people and likes naps, but Holly had a lot more depth. Being a girl who is extremely pretty, and all the boys love, at the beginning I just expected her to be a minor character who would just help Kami in some situation. However, she turned out to be an endearing and heart-warming girl, who is quite a major character in the story. She also manages to defy all stereotypes that are connected to pretty girls, furthermore by coming from quite a hard background.

Now I've talked about the girls, I think it is time for the boys, and the tid bit of romance that existed in the book. 
In the book we have Ash and Jared who, although they may look alike, are very contrasting characters, except Ash is much more vibrant whilst Jared generally hates the world.
So being the person that I am, I seem like I would go for Ash, however, I did not. Jared is so much better. I felt this because Jared and Kami have practically grown up together, so it's kind of hard not to think that they are perfect for each other. I know that this doesn't mean anything, but I found myself just generally liking Jared better than Ash (for good reason).
What I did find frustrating was how confused Kami was about her feelings and the fact that Jared refused to touch her throughout most of the book. It upset me very much. Then came the last chapter.
Everything was fine until the last chapter which shredded my heart with a paper shredder. I couldn't believe the words that were uttered in that moment and I was so upset that I threw the book across the room. Multiple times.

Despite this, I did enjoy the book, and will definitely be reading the next one when it comes out. Then I can maybe put my heart back together if the book is kind to me.
I also believe that I have already provided you with a quote, so I bid you goodbye.





rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...