The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting | Weaving Pages: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Saturday, 4 May 2013

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Hello Everyone,

I was going to call this my first review of May but then I realized that I had posted the Iron King review on the 1st of May but THEN I realized I had posted it on the 30th. So anyway, welcome to my first review of May.


Title: The Body Finder
Author: Kimberly Derting
Series: The Body Finder #1
Published: March 16th 2010
No. of Pages: 327

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself.



                                       
                                         4.5 stars: Page agrees this book was wonderful,
                                         apart from a tiny bit.

My Thoughts:

When I first picked up this book, I was a bit wary that I'd fall prey to its scariness, and not be able to get to sleep for the next year (well, at least I'd have more time to read). However, even though this was not the case, this book was still spine chillingly brilliant. It has lots of awesome factors.

As always, lets start with the storyline before I get sidetracked with something.
Violet has always been able to see the echoes murdered victims leave behind. She can also see the imprints on the killers. These echoes come to her in various different forms: some smells, other tastes, visions or sounds. Once she has found a body, she is restless until it has been left to rest properly, meaning she has her own graveyard (For animals, not people).
Despite having this scary talent, Violet has never been bothered by it, even when she found the body of a dead girl when she was eight because usually, most of echoes are from dead animals, and most of the time they're weak. So Violet just learned to let them fall into a synchronized humming in the background.
Then one day, she's out on the lake with her best friend Jay: the only person apart from her family who knows about her talent, and this time the discovery is horrifying, because this time, it's a dead girl. A murder case is launched, but soon it turns into a search for a serial killer.. and his victims. Once the murders become one too many, Violet decides to help, essentially making herself a target as well.

The book is written from Violet's point of view and occasionally from the killer's as well. These few pages I found hard to read. Being inside this Killer's mind was horrifying. It scared me stiff. Gosh, my eyes probably just skimmed over the words instead of reading them, all because of this awful killer's mentality that Kimberly Derting excellently created. I have to congratulate her for such a scary POV!
You actually never find out the killer's name, but you see enough of him through out to strike terror into your heart. It was awful thinking about all those poor girls and the fact that Violet is hanging in the possibility of being a target herself.

Now onto a lighter factor in the story, the Romance. We actually spend most of the book with Violet crushing on Jay and them both staying in the friend zone, but finally Jay kisses her and it's all happy! One of my favourite things about their relationship is that they are both boyfriend & girlfriend as well as best friends, which I find so sweet! I also love how Jay wouldn't let anything happen to Violet.. awww! I would hate if ANYTHING happened to these two characters.. Which reminds me:

That ending nearly killed me! I was so upset, when I thought someone had died and I was in the stage where I start thinking that I don't want to read this series because the pain of not having the said person there would be too great.. Thankfully I was wrong because there was an epilogue which showed me that everything was fine. It was sort of a mini killer cliffhanger. In fact, it was one of the best I have ever read.

There was only one tiny thing that annoyed me and that was that the killer, even when they didn't know his identity, was always referred to as a he, and I don't know if I missed some crucial evidence that showed that but it just sort of annoyed me slightly. Yes, I am a girl, but I not such a feminist to say that women don't kill. Even history shows that.

Apart from that, this book was great so it is time for the all important quote:

“I've been so worried about strange men following you around that I forgot how dangerous Homecoming Queens can be.”
― Kimberly Derting,
The Body Finder

Bye Bye!

 


rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...