Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins | Weaving Pages: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sunday, 26 May 2013

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Hello Everyone,

I don't think this review will be that big, because of the fact that I'm not that impressed with this story. Still, I liked the idea so it wasn't downright awful..

Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Series: The Sweet Trilogy #1
Published: May 1st 2012
No. of Pages: 453

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?


                                          3 stars: Page tweets once, he didn't have strong
                                          feelings for this book. It was just ok.

My Thoughts:

I feel like some sort of outcast from the fact that most reviews give this book five stars and I'm giving it a weak three, hmm..




Before I start, I'll tell you why I am giving three stars if I didn't really enjoy it. The whole idea of the book is very good. The angel and demon storyline is great because I've never thought of what would happen if there was someone who was half demon, half angel, let alone what they would do.
The next good thing was the writing: I think that Wendy Higgins did a good job on the writing side of the book. I didn't feel that the words didn't flow easily or that they were disjointed. It was a nicely done, all-round job.
I have a feeling I could of liked this book were it not for the following things that stopped my enjoyment. 

You know how I usually start by talking about the storyline? Well, that might be a little hard, so I'll say why I saw fault with this book.
I felt that this book didn't have much of a storyline. Yeah, they went on a road trip and Anna is going to serve some special purpose, but mostly, Anna was just there, learning the whole truth about everything. 453 pages of that. Yes, we learn about Kaiden and his friends, who are Nephilim (this started to mess with my shadowhunter feelings), having to "work", which is basically influencing us humans to do things we shouldn't. Although, they're aren't actually getting paid, so technically it can't be classed as work... it's more: "We have to do this because we either enjoy it or we risk getting killed by our own kind."
So basically, we were learning about Anna's drinking limits and other Nephilim.

Next up on the list is the romance: This went too fast for my liking, but for your benefit, I'm going to set the scenario: You have known this guy for one day, all you know is that he is like you, a Nephilim, and that he offers to take you to see someone who is supposed to tell you more about being a half angel/demon person. Your adoptive mother reluctantly lets you go. Lets just clarify who this guy is. He is Kaidan, the son of the duke of lust. Yes, Lust. With good reason, I think that I would probably be slightly wary of him and kind of scared. Is Anna? No, they practically throw themselves at each other and then it's an on/off relationship for the rest of the book. That says it all.

I think that this is one of those books where if you like it or not depends on who you are. This might be your cup of tea, but unfortunately, it wasn't mine, which is sad because I was really looking forward to this book..
Ah well..

Bye!



rita xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...